New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt a bobcat like a leopard?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever tried hanging baits for bobcats and hunting out of a blind like a leopard hunt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hung baits for bobcats-coyotes, skinned beaver carcass for several decades here in Michigan's U.P. I have only seen one bobcat during legal shooting hours here, we cannot shoot them at night, but coyotes are legal at night.

I hunt out of a enclosed tower shooting blind.

Baiting starts for me in November and ends in March. I start them out with the guts from deer harvested adding beaver carcasses wired at least 6' off ground. The wolves up here can and do jump up and get the beaver out of the tree.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seen bob cats working road kill deer and seen
tracks of them working gut piles on a regular basis.

I if one had the time and a good population in an area and the legal means to hunt them. one good most likely shoot one over the proper bait.

Game cam, proper blind and night vision scope would be a huge help.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to hang a feather on a limb with a piece of nylon fishing line..Bobcats like to play with it..also some Ocelot urine on the ground.

I also have used this for trapping bobcats with a no. 4 buried in the ground under the feather.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I never tried to sit and hunt that way but have caught some like that with a MB650 set under the bait.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have personally killed several bobcats over bait, just like a leopard.

I have also helped others bait for bobcat and they were successful.

I have had the best results with the bait being some kind of meat,or animal carcass, and being placed on the ground.

I have had the bobcat come in on the first night/morning after baiting, but it can also take a few days.

You will also attract coyotes and foxes as well.

I have killed coyote and bobcat on the same bait, on the same night, about an hour apart.

Sometimes the coyote first, sometimes the bobcat.

I have also killed several bobcats that were trying to get my live ducks, so I guess I was using them for bait too. shocker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I killed many bobcats with my dogs treeing them or with the death doves oof my clients using them as baiting .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote