New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting moccasins?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been thinking more and more about having a pair of "hunting moccasins made, or even trying to make them myself. Thought about using the hide of a tough old boar for the bottoms, white tail or axis for the tops.
I hunt in the Texas hill country, so it may not be practical due to the rocky terrain, cactus and thorns. Maybe I could get a layer of kevlar to sandwich between the soles and inner liner.

Have any of ya'll made yourself a pair,or had a pair made?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easier to buy them I have several pair from this place. The lace boot should serve you well.

http://www.arrowmoc.com/mocasins.html

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1+ on the Arrow Mocs. I have worn them for years.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Geedub-

I had a pair of the Russell Thula Thulas made and although they're a great boot/shoe they don't work at all for me in the Hill Country...just too many damned rocks. They have a layer of Turtle Skin under a layer of boar hide, I believe, so they're impervious but still too soft for my tender tootsies.

Russell has them now and are putting on a thin Vibram sole that should make them useable. Check their website, they have a rubber molded sole that wraps around and preserves the look of a traditional moccasin. Might be able to find someone local to copy it.

BTW, according to them, their leather soled moccasins such as the Thula Thula just don't stand up to much use. They've tried several different thicknesses and they just didn't last very long on anything but slippers or the like. As I understand it, they are recommending the rubber soles on all of their hunting mocs now.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have some custom moccs that are made locally. They are hell for stout and I have worn them for literally months at a time.

My only problem was that stepping on gravel or small stones would hurt the bottom of my foot.

Bought the thickest "Dr Scholls" pad that I could, problem solved!

Plan on taking them on my hunt for ele this fall.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell --I thought for a second you were a snake hunter. I'm relieved
Lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote