New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is nutria fur?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am buying a coat and was told the fur inside the coat is called nutria(something like that)and it is from baby beaver.Is this correct?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
No, it is from Nutria. They are large rodents that live in marshy areas of the south. They are an introduced species from South or Central America. They look kind of like a cross between a beaver and a muskrat, with the rat's tail. They have to be in the 15-20lb range, but I'm guessing there. They are a nuisance species and I have seen videos of them being shot as varmints.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you rate the fur in terms of quality compared with other fur bearers?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am getting the coat made.It will be a leather winter coat with a fur interior.It will be similar to the coat John Lennon is wearing in the woman video.I was shown the fur and it looked nice and warm.The tailor is trying to get me some good leather.He has some nice sheepskin samples on hand,but he thinks they will not "hold up".IT is good to know that it is not baby beaver as I asked him to try and find a substitute.Don't want anything baby on my back.Thanks ELKMAN2. Good question analog.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nutria is a notixous pest rodent, similar to a muskrat found in the Southeastern United States. It was introduced from somewhere else.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a cajun muskrat. The damn things were introduced by some braniac and now are a plague on the bayou. It is decent fur though and is similar to muskrat. "Baby beaver" that is a good one. rotflmo

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nutria is a South American rodent introduced into south Louisiana by trappers looking for an easy source of pelts in the 40s. they are a nuisance now with a $4 bounty.the meat is made into pet food &the pelts are shipped to Germany,tanned&sold.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kim actually has it right, I just couldnt resist poking some fun at such a ridiculous statement. I am still laughing at the baby beaver thing. I heard some talk about them maybe reducing the bounty this year but dont know if there is any truth to it.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, if we can only create a demand for Richardsons Ground Squirrel pelts, we'll have er made. rotflmo
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,
The good news is I think I found you a market for them. The bad news is they will only buy them sewn together in 4 x 6 foot sheets reddy to make coats out of! lol

Happiness is a warm gun