Find
Notify
Tools

Model 71 450 Alaskan ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
.........How many of you have and shoot one ??

ECT ,???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I had one. Have since traded it. My load consisted of the Hornady 350-grain flatnose and 64 grains of IMR 4064. I had to use epoxy steel to "glue" the forearm hanger to the magazine tube and expoxy cement on the receiver sight screws to keep recoil from dismantling the rifle. The version I had was the plain vanilla, not the Ackley Improved..... It was quite accurate, though.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are pretty brutal in the recoil dept..I suppose its mostly stock design and rifle weight..I have not owned one for that reason, but I have shot one quite a bit..If I ever build one it will have a heavy straight taper barrel...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made one for customer several years ago. The improved version needed the magazine tube altered in front of the action for it to feed properly. Made a band for the magazine tube to attach it to the barrel or it would fall off after a few rounds.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one for awhile a few years back Gumboot. Did not like it much. I am not recoil sensitive, but even when loaded to published spec's, it's very brutal, and wanted to open the action. I went back to the hot loaded .45-70 in Marlin levers. The rebarrel was not worth the effort in my opinion anyway. JMO

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Sure would like to hear from somebody that had better luck with this set up & is happy with his 71!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who is a Winchester nut got one and I worked up a couple good loads with 350 and 400 grain bullets ......I was very impressed with how that rifle had been built it had 2 integral abuttments that the mag tube was held in place by ...It was pretty ingenious how the smith that built it did that part ...I think I only fired 25 rounds or so thru it , but I had a 400 gr . Kodiak Bonded going 2150 fps with no high pressure signs .,.
I think the 350s were doing around 2350 fps ., It was a Short Tang model 71 it was built on and it had a bit of a high comb and the grip was very different
from his 2 other model 71s , one of which has a 2 digit serial # ...........I think some one made a beffier butt stock for that 450 ................I,m hoping to get my lunch hooks on that rifle for keeps ...Or I,ll need to find a Japanese model 71 to turn into a 450 Alaskan .................

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot, If you do get one, let me know how it turns out. Mine had some problems, but that don't mean they all do. I've always had a fasination for the big bore levers. I like the idea of Dougs .475 Turnbull. I had him case color an old straight grip Marlin '1895 for me several years ago, and he did a great job.

salute

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
DWright,
I have two 71's at Dougs,one's a 1937 & the other is a newer replica,I am having the newer one rebarreled to the 475 turnbull,I am keeping it pretty plain,just want a shooter with that one,26" round barrel with a full mag tube,if the weight comes in right,& the recoil's not too bad,it should make for one heck of a big bore lever gun!
I was wondering how it would stack up against the 450 Alaskan?

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Bill ;; The article I read in Rifle magazine said it would get around 2400 with a 400 gr bullet.from a 26" barrel .....That is 200 fps faster than I would attempt with the 450 Alaskan , So I think it is quite a bit more powerful ......

I like the 450 because of its history and ease of shooting and readily available components ......Also I don,t like pushing a Marlin up onto the wild side , and I want more than 4K ft lbs muzzle energy ..

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
gumboot,
I have'nt read the article,but I was thinking it would be slightly more powerful given the increase in bore size & the resulting drop in pressure!I could be wrong about that,I think that they would both be awesome calibers to own,I am already shooting bullets sized .458 & .475 in my favorite guns & a common size with multiple firearms makes it convenient!
I am not looking to shoot max loads either,I usually keep my 470 nitro to about 4000ftlbs & it does the job,it would be sweet though to own a lever that satisfies dangerous game requirements for SD & velocity,I am proabably going to take a hard look at the 450 Alaskan if the 475 works out,like you said,the history & bullet selection makes it very attractive.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.........Bill some day I am going to mhave a 458 caliber revolover made , mayby a couple different ones ...., mayby useing belted brass , seems like I,ve seen something about that somewhere .......If all I had was 300 gr barnes X XFB bullets in both rifle and pistol , I could probably hunt the rest of my life successfully ....
I think the 405 gr Remington bullet would make a great relolver bullet also ........The 450 Alaskan is a great round and if not over shot it would last a long time .......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is mine. Sorry about the first photo. No tripod handy.
MRC 1/2 Oct. X 1/2 round barrel
shoots 350 mag-tips well when loaded at @2000 fps using 3031.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done gun were did you get that front site.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Frank that is Realiy nice .. I really like the barrel .. Is the reciever a long tang or short tang ?? Thanks for posting the pics ..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Nicely done gun were did you get that front site.

The sights are available from NECG. Ask for the HH style.
FM

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Please tell me that isn,t a butt plate on the back end of the stock on your 450 ...... I was just going over the pictures again and took a closer look ... Ouch ..... I,m thinking about the thickest KickEze pad made ..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
It really isn't that bad. I shoot a few different large calibers and my shoulder or brain are a little numb I guess.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just sold my 50 Alaskan Marlin.

As to the 458 belted revolver, Ross Seyfried had Hamilton Bowen build one some years ago and wrote an article for G&A about it.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
AFTER I got all the components glued on so it did not self-destruct in use, it worked fine. The recoil was no worse than a hot-loaded 7-pound Ruger No. 1 in .45/70. Funny thing is, although I had it for three years in AK, I was always carrying my M/S .270 carbine whenever I got a shot at game! So I never shot anything more threatening than some railroad ties with it. It did a job on those, however.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 400 gr solids from Barnes for the 475 and will have 400 gr. Barnes TS flat nose for it also in about 6 weeks. The nose on both bullets is about .345 across the meplat, the over all length is +- 1.200". Both bullets are made to look the same, nose and OAL.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Mr Turnbull ....Can you tell me when Winchester changed from the long tang to the short tang on the model 71 .....And did they change the contour of the grip ....On my friends 450 which is a short tang the grip is very different from his other original 348,s .........I thought it was abutt stock some individule had made up but he thinks it is a Winchester stock ,. It has checkering but it does not appear to be factory checkering .....

...The reason I ask is the rifle cants to the left when I shoulder it and his 348 originals seem to point themselves , they are incredibly easy to hit with off hand with their peep sights ...
......Thank you .......

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a big bore Lever action African rifle or Alaskan bear rifle I would buy one of the new Win. m-95 in .405 and have some action work done and the throat lengthened so I could set the bullets way out, then I could duplicate the 450-400 with a 400 gr. bullet at about 2200 FPS..

Judge G did this and has hunted Buffalo with us in Tanzania with that gun..Its a nice rifle...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
Does the stock on an 95 fit you? I can't seem to get comfortable with one at all.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot - according to my info the long tang mostly appeared from 1935 through to 1937, thereafter the short tang long comb was introduced. As with all production changes there will be some overlap as existing inventory is worked off over time.

Personally I think you can get close to 450Ak performance with a modern 1886 in 45/70. While the 71 is supposed to be an improvement I think the tapered locking lugs of the 71 pop open sooner than neccessary. Another point is that the metallurgy of the late model Japanese made 71 / 1886 is better than the original 71's.

The other issue if you intend to use cast is that the short neck of the 450Ak limits bullets designs (weight) you can use. Being a wildcat, 450Ak chambers and reloading dies vary somewhat.

Joe

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am doing a conversion on a M71. It is altering the stock so the comb is not as high, moving teh grip area back 1", sweeping the lower tang back and enlarging the lever loop. Looks a lot like a later winchester 86. The bolt and hammer are then altered for smooth action and then a new barrel, 475 oct 26" with 2/3 mag. The stock alteration is a big part on making them not kick so bad. The stocks they put on at the factory have no drop to say and the grip is to far forward to feel RIGHT thus they kick the sxxt out of you.

Pix to follow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/colorguns/AFRICA/IMG_0679.jpg

WIn 71 reshaped to look like winchester 1886 deluxe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
I am doing a conversion on a M71. It is altering the stock so the comb is not as high, moving teh grip area back 1", sweeping the lower tang back and enlarging the lever loop. Looks a lot like a later winchester 86. The bolt and hammer are then altered for smooth action and then a new barrel, 475 oct 26" with 2/3 mag. The stock alteration is a big part on making them not kick so bad. The stocks they put on at the factory have no drop to say and the grip is to far forward to feel RIGHT thus they kick the sxxt out of you.

Pix to follow.
I observe you are altering the lever's shape. Will it become the larger, longer profile of the M1886?
I have a Browning M71 and USRAC/Winchester M1886. Does my version of the M1886 have a different butt stock profile from what you are creating? I ask because I find the Browning M71 yields less apparent recoil than the M1886, which jumps toward my face while the M71 moves to the rear with much less muzzle jump.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better late than never, so I thought I'd jump in on this one. Ben Forkin built one for me some time ago and I'm very pleased with his work.

It's a plain-jane "working rifle", with a heavy 20-inch barrel, built on one of the Browning 71 repros. Original wood, though I did have the forearm and wrist checkered for better grip. Buttstock has had a thru-bolt conversion, recoil pad, but no recoil reducer. Lowered original front sight, with Lyman 86(???) rear. Shoots 405 Speers @ 2150 with 66gr of 3031. Stout, but manageable (and comforting) recoil.

With over 200 rounds thru it, nothing has fallen off, although I did away with a swivel attachment that clamped on the mag tube in favor of a custom piece I brazed to the forend cap.

One criticism I have of the Browning repros is their 2-piece firing pin. The original Winchester design worked just fine, but the 2-piece unit, if lubed at all, becomes sticky in cold weather and won't reliably set off cartridges. I increased hammer spring preload with two washers and modified the 2-piece firing pin so it was not affected by lube--100% reliable for the last 150 rnds. NOW it's ready as a back-up for a brown bear hunt this fall.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lever profile is the same as a winchester 1876. That is larger than any of hte other lever loops. I also did the mod on my 86 that I did the conversion to 475 Turnbull ans my hand with a glove would not fit in ht e loop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DManson:
Better late than never, so I thought I'd jump in on this one. Ben Forkin built one for me some time ago and I'm very pleased with his work.

It's a plain-jane "working rifle", with a heavy 20-inch barrel, built on one of the Browning 71 repros. Original wood, though I did have the forearm and wrist checkered for better grip. Buttstock has had a thru-bolt conversion, recoil pad, but no recoil reducer. Lowered original front sight, with Lyman 86(???) rear. Shoots 405 Speers @ 2150 with 66gr of 3031. Stout, but manageable (and comforting) recoil.

With over 200 rounds thru it, nothing has fallen off, although I did away with a swivel attachment that clamped on the mag tube in favor of a custom piece I brazed to the forend cap.

One criticism I have of the Browning repros is their 2-piece firing pin. The original Winchester design worked just fine, but the 2-piece unit, if lubed at all, becomes sticky in cold weather and won't reliably set off cartridges. I increased hammer spring preload with two washers and modified the 2-piece firing pin so it was not affected by lube--100% reliable for the last 150 rnds. NOW it's ready as a back-up for a brown bear hunt this fall.

Dave Manson

Dave, welcome aboard.

I think you should use that 450Ak for that bear be pretty fitting for Alaska I'd think, just picture yourself like Chuck Conners in the old Rifleman TV show!!

I have some 400gr bonded Kodiaks I can send down if you want too!

later, Al (up in Bad Axe)

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
The lever profile is the same as a winchester 1876. That is larger than any of hte other lever loops. I also did the mod on my 86 that I did the conversion to 475 Turnbull ans my hand with a glove would not fit in ht e loop.
A kindred soul.

Are any comparison photographs -- M1886 with your altered lever or Browning M71 with your altered lever -- available on your web site? What is the additional cost for the lever alteration when accompanying a conversion to .45-90, .475 Turnbull, .50 KE, .50-110, or .50 Alaskan?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I was at a Gunmakers Guild show and a gent was exhibiting .50 and .45 conversions on the 71. Don't recall who. For what it is worth, he told me he preferred the Japanese rifles especially because, get this, they would work upside down where the Winchesters dropped cartridges.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Al:

Thanks for the welcome--looks like a good forum.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
. . . For what it is worth, he told me he preferred the Japanese rifles especially because, get this, they would work upside down where the Winchesters dropped cartridges.
You'll understand the benefit of this the next time you're caught in a Malay Man Trap and hear the thumping drumbeat of several pairs of booted men rushing closer. Smiler

I think I just violated my signature line.