New
Find
Notify
Tools

marlinowners.com-member Wind
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here a member of marlinowners.com and know a member by the name Wind?

I attempted to gather some information as to the current market value of a particular Marlin lever gun and my IP address got banned by the administrator for "fishing for a sale" which is not in their community standards. Seriously?!!!? Just a simple communication error and BANNED! WOW!

A member that goes by the name Wind sent me a PM, but I am unable to respond or even login and modify my post because some over zealous administrator banned my IP address. I can understand some of the shenanigans I've pulled here(My apologies Saeed)that could have wound up in getting banned, but this was a simple misunderstanding.

I am perplexed and at a loss for words despite what I have written here.

Unbelieveable!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a member there.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do actions such as this represent the norm over there?

I have several Marlin rifles and enjoy them immensely. I certainly didn't see this coming.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I read the stickies for the classifieds it says 25 post minimum to sell here.

No further clarification given.

I interpreted that to mean 25 post minimum in order to place a NEW ad.

I responded in a PM to a member with a WTB ad.

Got banned for that. Didn't even get a warning!

I am certain by this time tomorrow the stickies will have been scrubbed and edited like obama's campaign promises.

Thank goodness Accuratereloading doesn't have administrators like that!

Thank you Saeed.

Thank you Don.

Thank you to all the forum moderators for having tolerance and patience with those of us less than perfect.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I am a member there.

Any chance you would be so kind as to send me a PM with a copy of the stickies for the classifieds/trading post so I can try to figure out what rule I violated?

I have an ongoing email conversation with an administrator over there and I cannot say anything good about the individual.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had dealings with Wind.He is a moderator over there.I have never heard of anything like that happening.Usually if you FU you get a PM saying what you did and asked to not do it again.It is an easy place to fit in and is loaded with knowledge on Marlin firearms.They do have rules on classifieds and how you carry your self.Being respectful of others is the main thing and not a bad thing.OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My post was polite, but to the point. In my 1st public post, I was seeking a value for a rifle I intended to sell if the market value made it worth my time. My second communication was a PM answer to a WTB ad seeking a similar rifle. I made them within minutes of each other. Didn't check my email until the next day. Wind stated, he modified my original post as he felt my actions were "fishing for a sale" which skirts the limits of their policy for new members. He also stated I should come back and gain the knowledge I needed and enjoy being a member. Next email from an administrator-unnamed-said I had violated their policy of selling an item in the classifieds without the minimum number of posts. When I read the policies, my interpretation was it is against their policy to post NEW ads without minimum post count. Never asked not to do something again. When I tried to login with the address provided by WIND, a message appeared saying my IP address has been banned.

Apparently the individual with the WTB ad reported my PM as some kind of infraction and he has been a member a long time with uber status and to appease him, my IP address has been banned.

Never used any foul language, or said anything inappropriate.

It is my educated assumption the poster of the WTB ad must not really want the rifle he was seeking as he does not "do deal with new member". How difficult would it have been for said person to send a PM stating he would deal with me after I had the minimum number of posts?

I have nothing against WIND. As a matter of fact he tried to help me and encouraged me to continue participating.

I hope all parties involved are members here and have been reading this. It was never my intention to bypass or skirt any rule or governing policy of marlinowners.com.

Still looking for someone to send me copies of the posting policies and still interested in becoming a positive contributing member to marlinowners.com

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation here nothing more. Regional or specialized forums, can be and often are really Draconian with their way of operating and in attitudes toward new members. Other people may have or have had different experiences, but any of us that participate on the various sites build up an On-Line reputation, and it follows us to every site we join, simply because other people from these sites are doing the same thing.

Some of these folks we may recognize thru posts/responses some we may not. But the thing same is happening with them. Some of these folks a person may have had civilized rapport with or may have been constantly adversarial, and some may be individuals you never interacted with but they had/have developed an opinion/passed judgment on you based on what they remember of your activity on another site.

I am a firm believer that there are some individuals that should never/ever be in any position of authority, even on internet forums.

It is possible in this case someone that has a negative attitude toward you for whatever their reason has convinced someone else that you might not be or would not be a good addition to that site.

I am not stating any of this as fact, but coincidences do seem to have a bad habit of occurring on the internet.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
`t buy with out 25 posts.
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
My post was polite, but to the point. In my 1st public post, I was seeking a value for a rifle I intended to sell if the market value made it worth my time. My second communication was a PM answer to a WTB ad seeking a similar rifle. I made them within minutes of each other. Didn't check my email until the next day. Wind stated, he modified my original post as he felt my actions were "fishing for a sale" which skirts the limits of their policy for new members. He also stated I should come back and gain the knowledge I needed and enjoy being a member. Next email from an administrator-unnamed-said I had violated their policy of selling an item in the classifieds without the minimum number of posts. When I read the policies, my interpretation was it is against their policy to post NEW ads without minimum post count. Never asked not to do something again. When I tried to login with the address provided by WIND, a message appeared saying my IP address has been banned.

Apparently the individual with the WTB ad reported my PM as some kind of infraction and he has been a member a long time with uber status and to appease him, my IP address has been banned.

It is my educated assumption the poster of the WTB ad must not really want the rifle he was seeking as he does not "do deal with new member". How difficult would it have been for said person to send a PM stating he would deal with me after I had the minimum number of posts?

I have nothing against WIND. As a matter of fact he tried to help me and encouraged me to continue participating.

I hope all parties involved are members here and have been reading this. It was never my intention to bypass or skirt any rule or governing policy of marlinowners.com.

Still looking for someone to send me copies of the posting policies and still interested in becoming a positive contributing member to marlinowners.com

I know you need 25 posts to sell,but I never heard or have read where you cannot buy with out 25 posts.Strange indeed.I will make some discreet inquires and see what I can find out.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
`t buy with out 25 posts.
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:

I know you need 25 posts to sell,but I never heard or have read where you cannot buy with out 25 posts.Strange indeed.I will make some discreet inquires and see what I can find out.OB

I wasn't trying to buy. I was infact trying to sell. What I misunderstood was the difference between selling and placing an ad. It is possible to sell something without placing an ad. I was under the impression that you needed 25 posts to place an ad for sale. My bad. But still, banned for something as miniscule?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Well, I won't bother going to that site! If any of you who do notice that someone may want to buy a 336 in .35 Rem., please refer them to my post in the Classifieds-Firearms Only forum here.....

Marlin 336 in .35 Rem - FOR SALE

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Mine is sold.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the link below may shed some light

http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...e-i-got-scammed.html

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote