THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Any Advantage in Trading Up for a new 1895?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Advantage in Trading Up for a new 1895?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1983 vintage Marlin 1895 - wood stock, blued and micro groove rifling, of course. It shoots good, is in exellent shape, however the action is and always has been a little rough.

Been eyeing the SS models lately. The trade up would probably cost ~$2xx.

Is there an advantage in keeping the old model?

The current models have the cross bolt safety - which can be a hindrance, and the ballard rifling.

Opinions respected.

Phil

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, tough decision. I have a GG, made when they still ported the barrels, and it has a cross bolt safety[which can be a PITA], that you can take out. I like the ballard rifling. I've used the rifle for bear/boar hunting, here in the states, and used it on a plains game safari in RSA to take 7 head of game.

Don't know if there is an advantage, you could always take your old gun to a smith and have him "slick" the action for you, or just go ahead and trade up. Just don't know if there is a real advantage or not.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No reason to trade for a new one. I would slick up the one you have and grow old with it. The older one's are much more desired then the new. I've had both old and new, and much prefer the older rifles.
Cheers

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Keep it; smooth it up with some stones and emery paper; invest the $200 in ammo or a scope. Ballard rifling is no advantage with jacketed bullets; and I have good luck with the 12 groove rifling in the 3 old (1975 (one has 8 groove) ones I have. I know, they call it micro groove, but it isn't really when compared to the original 1950s era micro groove, which was about 20 really shallow "grooves".

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
If you are going to shoot lead bullets, hard cast or not, the micro groove ain't too groovey. The ballard will shoot either well. If you only shoot jacketed bullets, stay where you are. I own a gun shop so I say go for a new one, or two.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would say you have the 'better' of the 2 be happy and shoot it! The XLR's are heavier and they have the new 'lawyer safety' plus the fact that the quality has dipped with the Remington purchase of Marlin.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same gun, I think 1978 vintage. The Ballard rifling is for shooting lead bullets in 44 mag. Microgroove works just fine for hard cast lead, but then I'm not target shooting off a bench here.

I found mine in a pawn shop, cleaned it up. Front stock was split and repaired. Someone painted it w/ "Varathane." We stripped that and went w/ Tung oil and Carnauba wax.

I don't put huge demands on this gun. It sits in the truck on camping trips, same caliber as the Smith 629 sidearm.

They're not making them any more.

I've never sold a gun that I didn't regret later. Never regretted keeping one. Nothing in the rules that says you can't own two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for info on Marlin l895s.
On late models with the cross bolt safety, if you don't like it, go to your local NAPA store and get an "O" ring that just fits in the recess of the safety d-tent. This will enable the safety to still be useful if you want it, otherwise the "O" ring will hold the safety in the "off" position so you only have to mess with the hammer. Cost of "O" ring under $1.
Other great mods are the Wild West trigger, one piece ejector and the larger loop lever.
Of Course if you have a vintage gun, don't mess it up. My 1895 GG is a "user" for close range pig and elk hunting in heavy dark timber with ported bbls. and all the above mods. Love It.
Good shooting

Tetonka,
DRSS
Big Bore Trash Club
NRA Life
SCI
Band of Bubbas and 45-70ers

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The best modification is the $15.00 Ludwig safety delete kit! Replaces that abortion with a blank that looks like a screw.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Someone' ground off the safety on my 1895 and staked it in Fire position, and I have heard this is a Felony. Also, no gunshop will buy or pawn it, which is fine with me, but just wondered if there was any truth to this.

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
No it's not a felony or even a misdameanor. It is however a really good idea as these are a not needed addition to an otherwise great rifle.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can you get this kit?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
The best modification is the $15.00 Ludwig safety delete kit! Replaces that abortion with a blank that looks like a screw.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Where can you get this kit?

Thanks

http://www.leverguns.com/artic...crossbolt_safety.htm

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are really going to give you $200+ and a new one? You could have it slicked up a bit and have Marlin put a new barrel on. And be happier. Old guns and old friends, not to be discarded lightly.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SS models are nice simply because they don't rust up like the blued-versions do when you forget and put them away wet. I own a SS 1895. SS 1895s tend to shoot screws loose, so a bottle of Loctite blue is a good investment (especially the loading gate screw).

Micro-groove shoots cast just fine - you just need to use the right size bullet. Marlin's ballards have the same issue - some 1895's need a 0.460" bullet to shoot correctly.

Most of the action stiffness is due to the bolt/hammer interface. Round off and polish that interface on the hammer and your action will feel much better.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote