New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894 accuracy ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of accuracy do you get out of your Marlin 1894 in either .357 or .44 Magnum? Looks like a really handly rifle. I'm curious to know how well I could expect one to shoot. Also, does your rifle prefer any particular bullet type or load? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy in my 1894 in .44 mag is good. I can shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards, and my groups at 100 yards average about 4". I have a feeling the rifle is capable of much better groups, but my own inadequacies with iron sights are getting in the way. If I put a scope on it, I suspect I could cut the groups in half at 100 yards.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1894 in .357 which is scoped. It is capable of sub 1 inch groups at 50 yards. As soon as it stops raining (if ever), I will try it at 100.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first deer rifle was a 1894 .44 mag. In 1978 or so, I still have it and I still hunt with it. (killed a ten pointer last year- one shot drop)
I had some problems a few years ago with accuracy. Found out it was a combination of leading and some loose screws. The older rifles have a micro groove type rifling that seems to dislike cast bullets.
Upon correcting the problem the gun has returned to the unbelievable accuracy I came to love. I was at the range last month. I fired four bullets at a dime sized dot at 50+ yards. The group was dead center and looked like a clover leaf---with iron sights.
It is fun to shoot and the .44 round is much more powerful in a rifle. I have chrono'd factory remington ammo, 240 grains, at 1620fps. winchester supreme, 250 grains, at 1530.
In addition you have a large capacity weapon that is quick to the shoulder and quick on target. The lever action makes for a surprising rate of fire. With practice you will be able to shoot as fast/accurate as with an semi-auto.
Get one......

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've had my 94 44 mag since '76, this is my Wild Boar gun. With Williams 5D receiver peep sight, and my fav handloads I get honest 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With Speer 270GD and 23.0gr H110, I get a single hole at 50yds, and about 1.5" at 100yds. I have a 1-4x Bushnell Banner scope on my 1894. I primarily hunt with either 240gr JSP or 270gr GD bullets, and I only use H110.

The 1894 in .44mag is about as versatile and handy a rifle as you can get.

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
my marlin 1894 in 44 mag shot speer 270 gr. gold dots into three quarter inches at 100 yds.that was with a leupold 2-7 compact scope and letting the barrel cool between shots.

Posts: 3 | Location: letart wv | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote