New
Find
Notify
Tools

marlin cowboy 45-70blows up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have on ocassion seen a powder measure drop a very light load on one charge and drop the ultra heavy load on the next charge and I suspect this is what happened...

Because of this rare phenomina I always, softly shake the cases in the holder then visually inspect the cases thrown by eye to make sure they are all at the same level, prior to bullet seating.

I am 99.9% sure you had an overload and a good one at that. How it came about I can only guess.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
old Hmm. A two month gap from the original post to the post from ATKINSON and from me.

But I'd agree with his input as I used to suffer the same, "bridging" I called it, with H4831 in my RCBS Uniflow when loading my 270 Winchester.

Sometimes a part drop in one case and the very next load would drop a full reload plus carry with it the leftover of the part drop that had "bridged" in the powder measure.

But of course with 270 Winchester it was immediately apparent as that second load would overflow the case.

What progress on getting back to full recovery from FFFG?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one reason I use a Belding & Mull, there is no mistaking if it's a light or heavy load in that drop tube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A question, if I may, about the B & M.

I am aware that it slides and has a second chamber with a glass front panel. After that I don't know how it dumps the powder into the case.

It seems that after pushing the lever and all the rest that you have to UNSCREW OR DETACH the actual powder tube and pour it into the case via a funnel?

Then re-attach or screw back on the funnel? Or am I way off track here?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Say what you want, but I know for a fact that 25 grains of AA 5744 is NOT the problem... I shoot 27 grains in my Remington #3 Rolling Block behind the RCBS 500-grain BPS bullet without any problem at all. (I don't have my RCBS handbook here, as I am working out of state, but I believe that bullet and the 500-grain RCBS FN are recommended for the same load data...) That load, and the recommendation that I not go above 30 grains, came from no other than Ted Curtis at Accurate Powders about 10 years ago. He specifically recommended it, and the only thing I added was a 1/8" thick wafer of florist foam over the powder, because the charge was only about 30% of case volume.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Say what you want, but I know for a fact that 25 grains of AA 5744 is NOT the problem... I shoot 27 grains in my Remington #3 Rolling Block behind the RCBS 500-grain BPS bullet without any problem at all. (I don't have my RCBS handbook here, as I am working out of state, but I believe that bullet and the 500-grain RCBS FN are recommended for the same load data...) That load, and the recommendation that I not go above 30 grains, came from no other than Ted Curtis at Accurate Powders about 10 years ago. He specifically recommended it, and the only thing I added was a 1/8" thick wafer of florist foam over the powder, because the charge was only about 30% of case volume.

I see something wrong with your stated load. Two things actually. One is you didn't follow Ted's data to the T. You added a foam wad which brings up number two...never put anything over the powder leaving an air space between it and the bullet base. Real good way to ring a chamber or more. Yeah I know you don't think that foam as much of a barrier or resistance. Went using any filler (we'll consider a card over the powder as such) never leave an air space. Oh yeah you can get away with it often enough to think that it's okay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I read no one says anything about under charge that tends to blow things up easier than an over load.
Detination of the powder instead of a controled burn.
Just a thought?

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it really that funny when you are completely
WRONG?
25 grains of 5744 is on the heavy side for weaker 45-70s but is about right for the Marlin.
I have shot hundreds of rounds of this load in multiple strong single shots.

quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
well 25 grains of 5744 sounds like awfully light load with 500 gr in 45/70, hangfire or SEE sounds more like it. I guess none of you ever wondered why they publish starting loads? Starting load is safe SO EVEN LESS IS SAFER, RIGHT............... animal

Hope you heal up just fine!

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
quote:
"We never saw Winchester do that. They only went as larger as the 375 and even there they made some receiver modifications." by SmokinJ

Not true, Winchester used the BBore reciever for 444 Marlin which is larger.

There was also a short run of 450 Marlins in the big bore packer.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I mentioned that in a previous post about an undercharge causing problems..I can think of no other reason for that kind of an explosion short of a flaw in the metal?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The OP said he checked his cases with a light, and thought he would see a double charge if there was one.
I wonder if you would be as apt to pick up on an undercharged case as easily?