New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Marlin 336 Texan that is presently chambered for the 30-30 Win. It is a fairly old model with no crossbolt safety. It is in good condition. My question is: Is the action strong enough to re-barrel to a 375 Winchester? I am told that there is a difference of some 15,000 psi. The 375 Win is supposed to be loaded up to about 50,000 psi.

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would call Marlin and ask them as they made a 375 and would be able to tell you if they had to make mods to the action to handle the increase pressure or if it would be good to go as is with a rebarrel or rebore.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why you'd want to mess up a classy old .30-30 to go to a .375W. I had a Marlin 336 in .375W and sold it off shortly after buying it. It was accurate but I was dissapointed in it. I realized I should have gone to a .45-70 and would have probably been happier. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You don't mention whether you are a reloader or not. If you are, there is no reason you can't make the pressures whatever you feel is safe.

If you are worried about someone in the future using too hot factory or handloaded ammo in it, just have the barrel stamped as something else when it is put on....like maybe .375x2.25" Hoot.

You'll know what it is, and you can write the proper load on the ammo boxes. Then if you leave this mortal coil and don't take the gun with you, the next owner will know what to use too. No system is fool-proof, but in my view that would be a reasonable approach.

Or, you could just get a .38-55 barrel instead.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Evening,

Sorry that I have not gotten back to you guys sooner, but I was out of town for a couple of days.
What I have been wanting is a saddle carbine with a little more "thump" than the 30-30. I already have a pre 64 Model 94 30-30. I toyed with the idea a few years back on making a 35-30-30 Imp., but gave up on that idea. I was given a substantial amout of brass and some loaded ammo from an rancher friend of mine, so I began thinking of converting the old Marlin.

I am a handloader, so I could load it down and probably would for general shooting. I would want to load it up though if I decided to take it hunting in the dark timber.

Thanks for your replies.

HOOT

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you want to convert it just because you have some 375 Win brass on hand?

If the bore is in good shape you coul send it to a good lever smith to convert to 307 Win, but if it were me I'd trade the 375 brass and the 30-30 for a 336 in 35 Remington. Buffalo Bore makes a commercial 35 rem load that throws a 220 gr bullet at 2200 fps, there is long range 200 gr Leverevolution ammo at 2100 fps, and you can do better than that with some of the well tested +p recipes that are out there. How much more do you need?

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote