THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester Model 71 98 A bolt peep
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 71 98 A bolt peep
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted
They are rare, BUT Taylor Firearms in Winchester, VA. has the USA-418 86/71 Pedersoli reproduction of the 98A.
It is about 1/4 the cost of a 98A and it is not bad.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Somehow, my tablet doesn't show that I have even viewed this post. I don't suppose any pics are available to show what you're talking about?

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Look up the Winchester Model 71/Win 98A sight
Usually on the Deluxe checkered models.

You will have to do your own research. My camera
is not accurate enough.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
OK, I kinda get the idea, though I notice the Pedersoli version assumes you have dovetails on the breech-block. Wouldn't that be harder to arrange on Winchesters than drilling and tapping?

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m no expert but I would imagine ideally the bolt should be machined before it was hardened. I heard some comment that the late Miroku made 71’s and 86’s bolts are much harder than the originals.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
The original 98 A were for the Winchester Models 71 and 64. The bolt peep slots were already milled into the bolt at the factory.
Trying to machine these milled bolt slots for
later rifles would have to be exact and just might be...a fool's errand.

I cannot recommend Pedersoli rifles or sights. Stick to Browning or Winchester. John Browning's 1886 design gets the credit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be done but at a terrible cost..I have the base for one but not the peep, but I do have a modified Williams on my deluxe 71 d&t at the factory early on...Id love to have a 98A but not in the cards, but hey I can live with that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im still looking for that lower base, no luck but hang in their I will find it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote