Find
Notify
Tools

44 Mag ... best accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not looking to start a pissers match..OK

Just looking for a lever action 44 for: javelina, rabbits, home defense, and FUN!!

Any manufactures more accurate than others?

What is typical accuracy @ 50/100 yards?

Any to avoid?

Thanks, Jeff

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AzGuy

I have ahd 3 dofferent 44 Mag rifles.
My first centerfire rifle was an original Ruger Stalker [back in the 1960's], I have also had a Marlin, and now have a winchester Trapper [16"bbl].

When I had the first two, 240gr bullets were the biggest I used.
The worked great on deer.

I have fired these rifles a lot and their accuracy out to 75 yards is very good. AT 100 the groups open up larger than they should.
This is due to the 1in38 twist common to the 3 I have owned. All had Micro Groove Rifling.

In the Winchester at 100 yards,I have had better results with the Speer 270gr SP and Federal 300gr Cast Core factory loads, over 240gr. bullets.
The cast core is a lead bullet but it shoots very good.

I can say that these 44 rifles kill game a lot better than their "energy" figures would suggest.

I killed a lot of deer with the Ruger and 240gr bullets, factory and handloads. It had a 2.5x scope and I killed deer as far as 125 yards.

A few weeks ago I killed a wild pig with the Winchester and the Hornady 225 Leverevolution factory load, it was a bang flop, and I killed a turkey with a Speer 270 factory load, bang flop as well, no meat damaged.

Since Winchesters are not in production I would take a look at a Marlin with conventional [Ballard, not micro groove] rifling.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I have Winchesters, Brownings, Ubertis and ROSSIs ( or whatever they are called nowadays, Taurus, ... )!

I don´t have a Marlin, and I don´t intend to do so ( except it´s a vintage specimen, without the &%$§?? safety ).

Please post good loads in .44 Mag or .357 Mag for those LA´s!

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 94 Trails End, in 44mag and a Ruger Deerfield(semi-auto) in 44mag. The 94 is a 1-38" twist and the Ruger a 1-20" the Ruger is more accurate @100yds but the 94 is no slouch.

I handload, but not for 44mag as most loads are pretty cheap. Cant beat the 270gr Speer gold-dot or 250gr Winchester/Nosler partition factory loads. But i think the 240gr Speer gold-dot would also work real well on deer.

I have killed a whitetail buck, doe, and a black russian hog with the 44mag and it did a tremendous job on all. Great little deep woods round for 100yds and closer.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry didnt answer your question- for the M94 typical accuracy, with 2-1/2X scope @ 50yds was a basic clover-leaf that opened up to 2-3 inches @ 100yds still more than accurate enough for deer,especially if i hand loaded for it.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Model 94 Lagacy that had a 1 in 26 twist according to the hang tag. It shot the 300 grain hornady factory ammo into an inch or less (2-7 scope on it). Shot a lot better than my marlin. I got the marlin later.