Find
Notify
Tools

help me pick a 'back up' rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted
I'm off for a spring bear hunt in several weeks and am torn on a second gun for back up. The primary will be a Marlin Cowboy model converted to 50 Alaskan by our own Doug Turnbull. It is fitted with a Williams foolproof and shoots great. My concern is that most monster bears come to bait as sunlight fades and I want the option (maybe?) of something scoped for better twilight vision. What would you take as a second?

Question:
Please give your choice of a second rifle for this hunt. Assume twilight conditions and 50 yard shot over bait on a 7 foot + black bear.

Choices:
Marlin 1895 in 45/70 with Bushnell 3200 firefly 1.5x5
Marlin XLR .308 ME with leupold 2x8x32
Winchester 1895 30-06 with open sights
Ruger 77 30-06 with 3x9x40 Bushnell 3200 firefly
Ruger 77 .338 WM with 3x9x40 Litesight Bosh and Lomb

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Have not used the exact optics you list, by reputation I would lean toward the the 45/70 with the 1.5X5 Bushnell Firefly.

Following that the Marlin .308 with the 2X8 Leupold.
The 3x @50 yds with a potentially large black target concerns me a bit for rapid acquisition and bullet placement.

As our eyes fade,well at least mine, optics become more and more important to me.

Lately, I have been impressed with the Burris FastFire or similar optical sights , Ultra-dot ,etc.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45/70 fits the bill very well. A nice heavy bullet will do the job well.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i picked the top one.
i picked it as my first choice too.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey buckeye go up to Big Bores, check the B&Ms out?

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd pick a Marlin 1895 XLR chambered in .45/70, topped with a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 scope.

The magazine would be filled with 420 grain Garrett Hammerheads.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Hey buckeye go up to Big Bores, check the B&Ms out?

Michael

Absolutely would be my first choice, but not as a backup, but as first choice.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just limiting choices to what is in the safe now. You guys will give me thought on what to look at for my next purchase however.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I'm just limiting choices to what is in the safe now. You guys will give me thought on what to look at for my next purchase however.

My choice was based on that.

You could mount a FastFire ore a Scout/pistol scope on your .50 AK that could easily be detached from a quarter rib mount ala Z-Hat beer

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle is fine (better than most I'm sure) and it would be a shame not to drop the hammer on a 50 after all the money you've put into it. What you need some flexibility where your sights are concerned. Since you're already running a Turnbull rifle I'd have him install his new base for the Burris Fastfire sight http://forums.accuratereloadin...8721043/m/7461075701 You can zero the Fastfire and remove it until your evening sit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The idea on this gun was a 'classic' style cowboy. I can't see adding a rib or dot sight. If I were to go that way, I cou;d just install the firefly from the 45/70. Again, not looking for 'impeovements', just input on what a suggestion on what I already have.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
45/70 with 1.5-5X Leupold

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckeyeshooter
I used a Marlin 45/70 with open sites to shoot a black bear in early June in Ontario some years ago. Range was 50 yds over bait- bear ran about 30 yds DOA with a shot through the lungs. Only wish would be to have the trigger slicked up- it was very heavy and a scope with a lighted reticle might be a big help in low light. The granddy bear- I mean very large- crossed the road in front of us going to the stand one afternoon but never came to the bait.
Enjoy and stay safe!

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Based on what you're hunting, I voted for the 1895 with scope in 45-70. Otherwise I would advocate a different platform all together.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I have my dad's old 35 Remington that he left to me. Its a 1951 production 336A. Unfortunately or fortunately (if your a Marlin Collector) its a waffle top. So, I'm limited to the Lyman peep on it. Otherwise, it might ride along!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm messing with a Win Black Shadow in 444. Working on optics and looking for a compact quality scope to put in with quick detatch rings. I was looking at the marlin but the info i have read put the winchester a little stronger frame. Marlin is cheaper and easier to find. Marlin scope base is easier to get.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I returned from the hunt on the 7th. Ended up with 2 what I call smallish bears. A 5 1/2 foot boar about 150 pounds and a beautiful blond sow about the same size. They were the only 2 bears I saw all week. There were 10 in camp with 5 bears shot and me the only one filling both tags. My feeling was we were way too close to the main road and there were way too many hunters being run through this camp. There will be 48 hunters spring season. 18 left after my group. As of the day I left there were 30 hunters with 60 bear tags and 15 bear taken for the year. Not what I would call 'good' results. The outfitter claims near 100% success also bsflag The 50 alaskan crumpled both bears without a step. Obviously, because I was expecting the same size as my 2006 hunt with the same outfitter in a different part of the state in fall.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of black bear hunting. Over the years, I have been BS'd by more black bear guides, than all my other trips put together. If you are going BB hunting[states or canada] do your research VERY well.

Congrats on the 2 bear you took.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks mad dog thumb