New
Find
Notify
Tools

1886 with new sight.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Turnbull Manufacturing has come up with a new sight for those that have a difficult time seeing iron sights. This is a Burris Fastfire, we are also working with Trijicon and their RMR sights. The rifle is a USRAC that we remove the safety and fill the cut out in the hammer and colorcase the reciever. Restock the butt with a new stock and install a recoil pad. Now you have a modern deluxe that has all the items that most like. OH the caliber is in 475 Turnbull

[IMG]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/colorguns/P_Brownell_1886_Sight2.jpg[/IMG

[url=http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/colorguns/P_Brownell_1886_Sight2.jpg]

I tend to use more than enough gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Something it just plain wrong about this.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
nothing wrong with it.... im getting to where i can't see irons, but still like to shoot open sights... and i need all the help i can get... i like the idea of filling in the safety slot on the rear tang....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 16 April 2009 23:25 Hide Post
nothing wrong with it.... im getting to where i can't see irons, but still like to shoot open sights... and i need all the help i can get... i like the idea of filling in the safety slot on the rear tang....

I know what you mean about seeing the irons, I have been in trifocal glasses for about 15-18 years now and have the same problem. Thing is I know where they are and even as fuzzy as they appear I can still shoot some good groups with them. I have been thinking of one of the Malcom type scopes on my Marlin 1895 cowboy. I would not mind having the tang safety removed on my 1886 repro, if the hammer could be converted from rebounding to a half cock.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with being able to shoot well & place your shots where you want to when hunting!I would much rather have this set up than a scope!

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Shameless promotion! I love it!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug can you talk a little more about the safety conversion. I thought you would not do this in the past. I am glad because I can't find a Browning to send for the conversion.

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We remove the safety buttonand internals, weld ina blocka nd polish over, Then redrill the top tang so you can use a tang sight if you want. The hammer is removed and a block fit into the slot and welded in, then ground and filan polished. The rebounding hammer is changes so it will fall flat on the fireing pin and the half cock recut to work as an original Win chester. The bottom of the fork on hte main spring is cut to also keep the hammer from rebounding.The fireing pin is removed and welded to be a "one" piece for positive fireing.

Color case the action and go!

The restock is to match the contour of the original and instal a recoil pad.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Nice work! As with everything you do there.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of tritium fiber optic front sights on pistols - my old eyeballs appreciate them.. If it helps me hit the target, I can't argue...

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been testing different red dots for a while now.
While the "Military" style are good for their intended purpose, they are just too big for a hunting gun IMHO.

My favorite so far is the Docter Optic.

The Burrris and Trijicon are copies of the DO.

I have a Burris Fast Fire on the Blaser BBF 97 in 308/20ga that my 11 year old nephew uses.

Just this last weekend he killed a turkey at a lazered 80 yards with the 308 bbl and the Burris sight.

These type red dots work very well. They automatically adjust for the light conditions.

They are much faster and much more accurate than iron sights, even if your eyes are still pretty good.

Nice option Doug, well worth the money.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
Turnbull Manufacturing has come up with a new sight for those that have a difficult time seeing iron sights. This is a Burris Fastfire, we are also working with Trijicon and their RMR sights. The rifle is a USRAC that we remove the safety and fill the cut out in the hammer and colorcase the reciever. Restock the butt with a new stock and install a recoil pad. Now you have a modern deluxe that has all the items that most like. OH the caliber is in 475 Turnbull

[IMG]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/colorguns/P_Brownell_1886_Sight2.jpg[/IMG

[url=http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/colorguns/P_Brownell_1886_Sight2.jpg]

Doug,
The market for those of us that do not want to use a scope is very neglected. I have many rifle that I would like to shoot but I cannot see the iron sights. I do not want to alter the original rifle. We need a few simple sights that can be stuck on with double backed tape.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
The rifle is a USRAC that we remove the safety and fill the cut out in the hammer and colorcase the reciever.

Maybe it's easier to weld up the safety cut out and start fresh but I've wondered if a fella couldn't modify the base of his tang sight to fill/cover the slot with the safety parts removed?

Oh yeah, neat innovation and beautiful work as always.

posted Hide Post
Doug,
Very interesting idea. It looks like this sight is mounted to a Weaver style base. Does Burris make an insert for the dovetail or do you have to? Perhaps I'm missing it and you have D&T'd the barrel. I'd love to hear more about it and some of your results shooting with this as well as how it has held up.

Posts: 8 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice setup!

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like it would improve shootability of that rifle. Nice work (as usual!!)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote