THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Brwng BLR Detatchable Mag or 1895 Closed Bottom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brwng BLR Detatchable Mag or 1895 Closed Bottom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am still trying to decide on a lever gun for Alaska. One thing for sure is a box mag for spitzers and in particular Barnes X type bullets.

I have narrowed it down to the Browning BLR or the 1895. I will rebore to 358, 9.3, or 375.

I like the weight of the BLR, but it could be a bruiser (I never remember recoil with less powerful cartridges when shooting @ game, but that may change with a 375), and I wonder about the reliability of its box mag staying in place with the grit that Alaska dishes out (don't want a misfeed at a bad time, etc.).

I like the idea of a closed magazine with the 1895, but I can not use a conventional scope leaving me with a scout scope which may be a bit underpowered, it is heavier than the BLR (could be a good thing for recoil....), but I would think that the open top action and the way the lever guides are exposed on the outside of the magazine could be a problem with Alaska rain/snow/mud, etc.

Would appreciate input from those that have specific experience with these two rifles.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

DEKE,I am kind of doing the same thing, I have got a browning 95 and will end up going with a 9.3x62,but that will be awhile as I am going to move to alaska within 10 months or so,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Winchester 1895 in .405Win or 9.3x62 but you want a 'scope , have you thought of a peep sight? these can be very accurate .I personally like a fixed magazine but if going with the BLR just carry another loaded magazine for a "just in case situation". Both your choices good ones.
RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke: I have hunted/shot a .358 BLR for 23 years and have never had a reliability issue with the magazine - I don't believe the environmental conditions of Alaska will cause any problems with it. I will say that the "flush" magazines of the newer models do make the rifle easier to carry than the protruding magazines of the pre-81 models. Given that the BLR is factory-chambered in .358 and the scope issue with the 1895 that you have already mentioned, I believe the BLR would be a sound choice. They are a very nice carrying rifle - they somehow just feel right to me - and that is why I own four of them! Good luck with your choice and your adventure in Alaska.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with pagris. Haven't lost a magazine from a BLR or '81 in 31 years. .358 with 225 Barnes should do fine. Short action BLR well balanced, the long action is a club. Also shoot a '95 and believe your efforts with a scope are doomed to failure. Mount an XS peep with white stripe blade (most important part) up front. Mine will do 2.5" at 200yds.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am realizing that I should have been more clear in my post. This rifle would be for BIG game including Brown Bear. With that being the case I would think that the 358Win at best would be minimum. I was thinking of reboring and/or rechambering to 338WinMag, 375Hawk, 358NormaMag, or 375-338Mag (not a short action). Sorry if I confused anybody and thanks for your help.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In order to accomplish your goal you will have to start with the long action 7 Rem mag. Trying a 300 Win rebore you would have to use a wildcat on the 300 case as the shoulder is too far forward for the 338 case. Unlike a bolt gun the barrel cannot be set back and rechambered since the bolt locks directly into the barrel. With a rebore it seems your limits would be a 338 or 375 Taylor on a 7 mag or a 9.3x62 or 375 Hawk on an old 30-06. With a rebarrel by a skilled smith, almost anything under 40 caliber should work. I don't believe the face of the receiver would stand the pounding of the big bores. Just my opinion and that only.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

In order to accomplish your goal you will have to start with the long action 7 Rem mag. Trying a 300 Win rebore you would have to use a wildcat on the 300 case as the should is too far forward for the 338 case. Unlike a bolt gun the barrel cannot be set back and rechambered since the bolt locks directly into the barrel. With a rebore it seems your limits would be a 338 or 375 Taylor on a 7 mag or a 9.3x62 or 375 Hawk on an old 30-06. With a rebarrel by a skilled smith, almost anything under 40 caliber should work. I don't believe the face of the receiver would stand the pounding of the big bores. Just my opinion and that only.

You might if you have not already check out the Stainless steel vertion ..Browning BLR light weight, stainless steel
In 300 Winchester Mag.....

I see were you say that..
Quote:

almost anything under 40 caliber should work.

Why would that be ?? does 50-110 fall with in those guide line's ? Since there are many done into that cal. in convertion's............. in that very rifle

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The receiver itself does not appear to be heavy enough to stand up as an abutment to heavy recoiling rounds and could become deformed and possibly unsafe. The 50-110 is too long for this action and even if it weren't, it would be a nightmare making rimmed rounds feed from some type of converted box magazine, if possible at all. Never a good thing on a rifle used for possibly dangerous game. The 50-110 is built on Winchester 1886 actions, very long and tube fed ie; not from a detachable magazine. My dream had been to convert a BLR to .458, but don't believe its feasible. Yes, I know there is the .450 Marlin, but it has nowhere near the recoil of a .458 or its loaded length.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dave clay in texas 50-110 convertion'===========

=======================

As far as the covertion goes yes it can be converted

and no the recoil mean's zip it's more about the Alum/Reciver's that's why i said use the stainless steel vertion of this rifle...I have no way to prove what i am tell you is true ...

I do have one almost finished though form the stainless steel vertion in a 300 Winchester Mag to a .458

I had them put a 26 in barrel on it though i ordered a 9 1/2

inch barrel ribe with the 3 leaf sight's and a banded front sight i got a call telling me yesterday that he has the barrel on the rifle and the stock done and on the rifle

but the front and rear sight's are not in yet .He also asked me to bring down 3 live round's to test fire it

He's only 15 mile's from here ...He told me He.! was kinda learie about it himself but that if i wanted to spend my money on the job he would do it....

So when all is said and done No i have no way to prove that it can be ..except that in about 3 week's i will be holding it in my hand's.. i do have a little still camra that work's off the computer it plugs into the Pc with about a 8 foot cord when i get the rifle home i will try and take as many picture's of it as i can but that will not be enough

for most of the folk's here ....

Once's it done i will let you know who did the job ? right now i dont know if his going to be linked to this thing or not ..If it does Not.!! work i would guess he would not ..

He does alot .!! of gun work on the West Coast of the U.S

=======================================================

So for now i guess i would have to just sit here and wait

before i get to far into this conversation....

About weather it will work or not..

Also forgive my bad spelling Public Schooling...

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote