New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 99 Trigger work
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anything be done with a M99 trigger? I've had a couple of 'smiths tell me it was a lost cause. Anyone know of someone who works on these rifles? Thanks.

Posts: 71 | Location: Bellingham WA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arthur Redman used to do a bang up job. they broke like glass at 3 lbs. or less and he installed a alllen screw trigger stop in front of the trigger in the lever, quite nice and adjustable...

I have done mine and they were improved to a degree, it is just a matter of shortening the up traveling sear engagement, but if you take off too much or cut at the wrong angle its not safe, and remember that many Savage parts are now very hard to come by....The top lever models are even harder to work on, but fortunatly they have better trigger pulls as a rule.

With a little practice one can shoot as well with a poor trigger as he can with a target trigger up to a point, lets say for hunting...I can and do live with the 99 triggers for the most part and only work on the very worst ones and when I reach a compromise I quit.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a trigger shoe on your 99.It will give your trigger finger grater contact with the trigger.If a creep lives in your trigger,then you must see a gun Doctor.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote