New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild West Guns "Copilot"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here have any personal experience with the Wild West Guns (Alaska) model called the "Copilot"?

Thanks, Jeff

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get on the Alaska hunting section on this forum and ask there. Have seen lot's of comments regarding wild West guns, and seem to be mostly extremely negative. But, that's where I'd ask.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never bought a gun from Wild West.

But I have been in there shop twice, several years apart, and found them to be friendly and nice on both occasions.

All the reviews I have read on their lever guns have been positive. The ones I have handled seemed well made.

I use a take down guns a lot, and can say they are very handy and great to travel with.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one converted from a standard 1895. I kept the 22" barrel and didn't get the take-down (just couldn't justify the money for an already great gun). I really appreciate the longer barrel as I shoot much better with it (slows me down a bit and feels like a lighter recoil). Great work and I love the extended chamber for heavy bullet and solids. Shoots around 1-1.5 MOA with Garret 540's. Nice.

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know Jim West and have had Jim make my dad a co-pilot.

I flew the bush with other pilots who had guns by Jim West and they praised his work.

You will love his product!

one of us
posted Hide Post
They do great work but are a bit pricey and very opinionated. Still iit is a great weapon for thick bush and fits most anywhere. It is however not a long range weapon

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No but I have one of their Guide Guns in 50 Alaskan.It works great,never had a problem with it.Regarding the people,Yeah they seemed to have
this attitude that you were from the lower 48.and
could not have any use for 50 Alaskan.I thought it must be Water... Big Grin

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you know that Alaskans refer to every place other than Alaska as "Outside", so until I moved there every time I spoke with them over the phone I was an outsider! Then when I had been in the store a couple time they lightened up. I does seem as if gun stores attract an odd sort of employee. ( I worked for Great Northern Guns in Anchorage part time so I guess I am one of those types; however I try not to be)

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I used to work next door to Jim's old shop on the Old Seward Highway, and would visit his shop a couple times a month. The Co-pilot is a realy neat package and the ones I handled were exceptionaly well done. I bought one of his first "Alaskan Guide" conversions and carried it many miles in the bush. It provides great peace-of-mind. I don't think you'd be disapointed with his products.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I have had several over the years (50 Alaskans)and liked them all.They shot and worked fine for me,but I didnt draw any blood Frowner

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Yes

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RAC,

Your rifle is a sweet one...what are the specs?

Both a QD scope mount and good open sites.

Congrats.... based on the pics, nice work with your "Co-pilot".

Thnaks for sharing.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Mine has an 18.5 inch barrel and is a takedown. I have had it for 8 years. Despite all the problems associated with WWG I have read on this and the Alaskan board, I have not had any problems with them except a shipping damaged gouged forearm when I received it. That was replaced with no problems. I shipped it to them before I went to Africa to have the serial number engraved on the barrel, plus a shorted LOP, and a no flop trigger installed. Generally, I shoot the 405 grain Remington bullet loaded out to the 457 Mag length. On the trip to Africa, I used a Alaska Bullet Works 405 grain bonded bullet. Both of these loads are around 1800 fps. I see no reason to use the 457 Mag as there is nothing it can do that a 45-70 won't do.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote