New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a lever but...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
...this is the most appropriate place I think. Anyone tried one of these out? I think I want one, with case colors and a 24 inch barrel in 45 Colt...

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/Lightning.tpl

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
That page caught my eye a few weeks back. The forum readers at leverguns.com were familiar with them, but they pointed me to USFA, who offer some gorgeous variants of the Lightning, made in the US. These they reported to be better made, but of course they cost more as well. On the whole, the shooters of the Lightnings aren't the most enthusiastic lot. Over the years I've read the Lightnings are weak, finicky, and a pill to disassemble. It'd be nice to see someone bring back the Remington 14's.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
asdf, I just went over there and did a search. It seems that regardless of who makes the Lightning replica, reviews are hit and miss. That's a shame...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I've gathered that the USFA's are well made, and the Uberti's are not bad, but apparently the design wasn't the most sound in the first place. I remember reading less than favorable comments on the originals before the current batch of replicas became available. Still, many owners are pleased with their guns and have adapted to the quirks. I won't be getting one, but getting a slide action still has its appeal.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote