THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    How do I unjam Browning Model 92
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I unjam Browning Model 92
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just shot my Browning Model 92 same as Winchester Model 92.I was shooting 38 specials and one locked it up tight.How do I go about unjamming it.It must have been too hot of a load or failed case.I cant move the lever at all.Do I take it apart to get it unjammed or what?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing you might try AT YOUR OWN RISK is to insert a one piece cleaning rod down the bbl and as you pull on the lever tap the cleaning rod. NEVER TRY THIS WITH A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER, AT LEAST 2 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KILLED WHILE DOING THIS WITH A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER.
When you get the case out inspect the chamber for any burrs or other damage. Also check your remaing loads to see if any have a double charge. You can weigh the loaded rounds on a scale, pull or discard any that are suspect.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would only do as NE suggests after taking the rifle apart.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunsmith!!!!
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
475Guy
If he can't get the lever open, how will he take the rifle apart?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the cleaning rod after I took magazine apart and got live rounds out.The lever is locked tight.The locking lugs on both side are slamed tight also.In gunsmithing guy said to tap locking lugs with brass punch I will try that tommorow.I am glad it was double loaded 38 special and not double loaded 357 mag.I dont think rifle will come apART LOCKED UP LIKE THIS.Gunsmith could take forever I just went to least busy one he is backed up 6 months.Dang I was busting clay targets at 50 yards like crazy .Then big boom and a real kick.That was all she wrote.I tapped the case inside with no results.I am going to try brass punch on back locking lugs I hope it breaks loose with out breaking any thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dgr416
I would put some good penetrating oil on the locking lugs to help prevent galling.
Good luck. It might not hurt to have some help and tap on a cleaning rod as I have described and the locking lugs at the same time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea I tapped it open with 375 winchester case then allen wrench covered with towel.The 38 special case split at the head.Dang my powder measurer on my dillion double dumped .It has done it 3 times now.I am sendsing powder measurer back to dillion.I AM glad it way not 357 mag double loaded!