THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    535 gr & 570 gr Barnes Banded Solid in a Marlin .50 Alaskan Levergun???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

535 gr & 570 gr Barnes Banded Solid in a Marlin .50 Alaskan Levergun???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted
Has anyone out there tried using the flat nosed 535 gr & 570 gr Barnes Banded Solid in a Marlin 1895 .50 AK conversion? Is crimping a problem? How about feeding, velocity, and accuracy?

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the 570gr is too long to feed thru the loading gate of my 50Ak/Browning 71 conversion.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Both are too long to feed in my Marlin, unless you push the way too deep in the case. Barnes does make a 500 grain the works well. Woodleigh also makes a 500 grain that works well. These however are not solids. I for one would be a bit concerned with a solid in a tube mag. Not saying it would be a hazard --- but it would make me shaky!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Both are too long to feed in my Marlin, unless you push the way too deep in the case. Barnes does make a 500 grain the works well. Woodleigh also makes a 500 grain that works well. These however are not solids. I for one would be a bit concerned with a solid in a tube mag. Not saying it would be a hazard --- but it would make me shaky!

Why would the solids make you nervous in a tubular magazine? These are flat point solids like the 460 gr. BMB Punch Bullets loaded in the .50 Alaskan by Grizzly Cartridge, only they are heavier and longer. Am I missing something or are we talking about different bullets? If so, please fill me in.....I don't need any missing fingers!!! homer

TO ALL: My interest in these bullets involves using them for hunting the world's largest game because they are the closest thing to a proper weight-for-caliber solid that seems to be usable in the .50 AK Marlin(if seated deeply enough). I see no reason why you couldn't load them.......BUT I'm unsure if the bullets can be securely crimped into place since these bullets would have to be seated too deeply to use the crimp groove. Could I recrimp them with a crimping tool? I am not as experienced with these things as I would like to be. I'm afraid that the bullets would jump during recoil. Has anyone actually fired one of these bullets from their lever action .50 AK's?
If so, did the bullets remain seated properly under recoil?

These are the only real "GRADE A" .510 caliber flat point solids with a SD in the preferred .300 range. Bullets like these have a great reputation for deep penetration at all velocities and they won't tumble, bend, or break. All other solids for the .50 AK are either hard cast lead or they are too light and stubby, in my opinion.

If I can't use these Barnes FP Solids, then the 460 gr. BMB Punch Bullets or a good LBT in the 550-600 gr. range would be my choice. I am less concerned with velocity/energy figures than I am bullet weight/integrity, feeding, and overall reliability.

Thanks Again!! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Punch Bullets would be a good chioce and no worry about oal.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Barnes has made several styles of solids in the last several years. If these are a FP design that they are making now. I imagine they might be ok. The ones I am used to seeing are the older RN design. I would be real shaky putting a solid RN in the tube of a 50ak loaded max.
As a precaution, I flatten the nose on the older Woodleigh's I have. I understand the new 'lever gun 500's' are already flat. I just try to take a few 'extra' precautions --- I like my fingers where they are.
Al mentions the punch bullets -- probably a very good choice. Al has got a handful of 50 cal.lever guns and knows what he is doing.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
Yes, the new Barnes Banded Solids are flat points. They recently switched from a roundnose solid to the current fp design because so many people seem to agree that the fp design is more lethal and is a more consistant penetrator in large thick-skinned game.

I would NEVER use a roundnose bullet in a tubular magazine, especially a hard kicking caliber like the .50 AK!!! The ONLY way is to have one in the chamber and ONE in the mag for a rn/spitzer 2-shooter.

I would use the Punch Bullet if I couldn't get something heavier. It is a good bullet and is the best option out there for the .50 AK in factory loaded ammo for sure, though the 525 gr. WFN loading is good too. The only thing I don't like about it is it's low sectional density and I think that the Barnes 535 or 570 gr would be a more reliable penetrator against REALLY HEAVY GAME like rhino, hippo and elephant than the comparatively short 460 gr Punch Bullet. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Punch Bullet on anything else, including buffalo, but this is the game I'm hoping to hunt with it.....to compare it with the results attained by traditional "African" cartridges, as is written in books and seen by my PH and any nearby witnesses. There is much debate on using ANY levergun on African game and I would like to try it for myself.

I'll use any excuse to get over there! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srshooter:
Yes, the new Barnes Banded Solids are flat points. They recently switched from a roundnose solid to the current fp design because so many people seem to agree that the fp design is more lethal and is a more consistant penetrator in large thick-skinned game.

I would NEVER use a roundnose bullet in a tubular magazine, especially a hard kicking caliber like the .50 AK!!! The ONLY way is to have one in the chamber and ONE in the mag for a rn/spitzer 2-shooter.

I would use the Punch Bullet if I couldn't get something heavier. It is a good bullet and is the best option out there for the .50 AK in factory loaded ammo for sure, though the 525 gr. WFN loading is good too. The only thing I don't like about it is it's low sectional density and I think that the Barnes 535 or 570 gr would be a more reliable penetrator against REALLY HEAVY GAME like rhino, hippo and elephant than the comparatively short 460 gr Punch Bullet. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Punch Bullet on anything else, including buffalo, but this is the game I'm hoping to hunt with it.....to compare it with the results attained by traditional "African" cartridges, as is written in books and seen by my PH and any nearby witnesses. There is much debate on using ANY levergun on African game and I would like to try it for myself.

I'll use any excuse to get over there! thumb

you could drop Kelly @ Belt a line and see if he'd make something heavier.

There is another place that makes a copper or brass hex hollow point, they may be able to help. I'll look for the link in the morning.

found it

http://www.lehighbullets.com/index.html

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Al, I'll check them out. Wink

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
I really think you could make them work in a levergun if you cut your brass to 1.80" and crimp as normal. You MIGHT still get 1700-1750 fps from a 22-incher....I would hope?!?! Confused

I'm only guessing at the velocity, of course, since there's no load data that I know of for this bullet/caliber/rifle combo that I know of. I'm just using load data that I found for a load using the A-Square 600 grainers.

Even at this velocity level I think it would be a very good stopper and penetrator for the largest beasts. A stainless/laminate stocked .50 AK 18.5" carbine with a full length magazine loaded with these monsters would for a great universal packing rifle or short range stopper.

I really like Garrett's stuff but it would be VERY INTERESTING comparing this load with Garrett's 540 grain .45-70 load. stir