Find
Notify
Tools

Henry lever rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RHK
posted
My boys are getting old enough for a fun plinking .22 - I've taken a look at the Henry rifles and I'm considering gettting one for my older boy for Christmas. Looking at those took me back to about 30 years ago...one of my friends growing up had (I believe, it's been so long I can't remember for sure!) a little Ted Williams .22 lever action. Man we wore that thing out! And I remember it as being one fun little gun to plink with.

Anyhow, anyone have any experiences out there with the Henry rifles? Are they made decent?

"Everybody told me you can't far on $37.00 and and a jap guitar" ~ S.E.

"Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana." ~ M.H.

Wild Bob

Posts: 73 | Location: North East Montana | Registered: 14 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
I've got a Henry in 22lr, nice little gun for the money! The smoothest lever action I've ever handled! Some owners don't like the painted receiver or the plastic barrel band/front sight, but I find nothing wrong with them, they do the job. Great little plinker and nothing wrong with saving a buck. Nice wood on mine.

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bought a henry 22lr for my 2 kids last year. What a nice gun. Enough so that back in july i got a henry big boy in 44. excellent firearms

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, consider getting your boys a Browning lever action .22. They are works of art that will be passed down many generations.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The Henrys were on sale at the local Bi-Mart here last week for $179. I looked and looked at one, but ended up not buying even though I had put the needed cash in my wallet.

Pros:

- They have an absolutely outstanding reputation for accuracy.

- They show the slickest working lever action I have ever encountered at any price, anywhere, anytime.

- They exhibit reasonable care in fitting and assembly.

Cons:

- I am one of those who does definitely NOT like the appearance of their coated, apparently cast, receiver.

- Though the stock was well fitted, I have seen better figured (and nicer coloured) cedar fence posts.

- I found the space between the barrel and the magazine tube to be much greater than I care for.

- I don't like plastic anywhere on lever guns, especially a gun which may be used by someone very young. Youngsters are always accidents looking for a place to happen, and in my experience plastic does not do well over the long term in the hands of kids.

My bottom line:

I am going to put the money which I took down to buy the Henry toward buying a new Marlin 39 before the new owners (Remington) take them completely out of production.

f you can afford to do so, I recommend you do the same. If not, the Henry will likely do okay, bring your kids joy, and teach them marksmanship. But I would also buy replacement plastic parts now, while they are easily found on the market.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, I bought one of their pump guns. Could hardly get it on paper at 40 meters. I like the older Marlins (50's models). If the new ones are as good the will last a lifetime.