New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin .357 loads anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up a Marlin .357 mag. Interested in anyones opinion regarding powders and charges that work well in this carbine. . . . I'd like to use 'lil gun powder or 2400. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Using Lil Gun, get 2050 w/158s

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy sheep crap. . . . . can you tell me how much you are using? I figured I'd get maybe 1,700 or so.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was interested in a Marlin 1894 series gun in .357 as a caliber backup to a .357 or .38 pistol. I would hose down the attacking hordes of Obamaites besieging my walls with the lever action, beat them off their scaling ladders with my rifle butt when out of ammo, slash a swath with my sword to the final redoubt, and blast them with my .38 or .357 as they poured through the door.

I was hoping to find some net info on velocities with 18.5 barrels and maybe for .44 as well. Magnum pistols are usually around 1700 fsp with hotter loads (considering the variables).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a .44 mag in a pistol get 1,700 fps. Maybe in a Freedom Arms loaded hot; MAYbe. I've crono'd some of my hot loads with a 300 grain at 1,200. The 240s may go 1,400-1,500.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
16.0 gr. of LilGun with a 180 cast is a good thumper for a short range deer load. It's close to 1800 fps.

Posts: 37 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: 13 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DWright,
For many years, I've used 19.3 gr. of Win 680 and later Acc. 1680 with small rifle primers, topped with 158 gr. soft point or plated hard cast 158/160 gr. I have never chrono'd the load but it shoots relatively flat with the desired low pressure.

The load has worked consistently well on porkers up to 150 lbs. If the first shot does not put the porker down, you've got 9 more in the tube.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DWright--The Freedom Arms model 83 was used to push a 300 grain cast bullet to 1900 fps with a 12 inch barrel. This was just shy of max safe pressure loading. With my .454 I have pushed 300to 2000fps. Mine is a max safe presure load and is VERY uncomfortable to shoot.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread started as 38/357 marlin I believe we have gotten a bit off subject. But just one more....I have a Freedom model 353-same frame and cylinder as model 83, but chambered for .357. Pure stupidity took hold with some of my reloads but I have yet to damage this revolver. I even tried using the case to "scoop" Bullseye and compress a 158 on top. It was suprisingly accurate. 500 rounds like this with no damage--I have had this gun NDTed to make sure. A full case of Bullseye will split the case thoughSmiler
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised at the velocity that can be acheived in the .357 carbines. However after a day of testing I'm pretty impressed to say the least. 250-300 yard shots are pretty easy. I have had 2 Freedom Arms however, and will say that 1,500 was all I wanted with the 300s. The 340s were about the most accurate with 18.5 grains of 2400. 400s would not stabilize, and recoil was horendous! More than that and I would much prefer a rifle. So far I like 18 gr. 'Lil gun with the 158s, and 16 with the 180s for the .357 carbine. Any other suggestions? I'm all ears. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone gone to a Maximum cartridge in these rifles? Should be a basic re-chambering job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too long to feed from the magazine to the chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H110 behind a 158 gr Rem JSP for just over 1800fps out of my marlin. Killed several deer with it blown the heads off of squirrels with it.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
For high pressure loads, I would think the M92(Rossi or Puma) would be the way to go. High pressure loads would probably do better with a small rifle primer(thicker cup).
In pistols I have used BlueDot to get higher velocity with less recoil and muzzle blast.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Dwight, I'd have to look it up....memory....but that sounds about right.

H110 @1800 is plenty speed also, using the same RP JSP myself and hope to pop a deer this year with it.

I'll tell you, to see what it does to water filled plastic bottles and milk jugs out to 150 yds has to be seen to be believed. I think the flat nose is great for shock value! JSP perhaps penetrates a bit better than JHP in same bullet is my logic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With some more testing found a great bigger game load. 16 gr. Lil gun and a 180 gr. LBT FN GC hard cast. Most accurate load so far. Will keep you all posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
Dwight, I'd have to look it up....memory....but that sounds about right.

H110 @1800 is plenty speed also, using the same RP JSP myself and hope to pop a deer this year with it.

I'll tell you, to see what it does to water filled plastic bottles and milk jugs out to 150 yds has to be seen to be believed. I think the flat nose is great for shock value! JSP perhaps penetrates a bit better than JHP in same bullet is my logic.

Thanks; and I agree. Really splodes um! Great little carbines! I thinned the forend on mine and refinished it just this afternoon, as I have done on all my Marlins. Don't know why Marlin puts such fat forends on an other wise nicely proportioned lever gun.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
D, my latest loads I looked at notes, 19.0 but I would suggest 17.5-18 to start, if that is within book loads. That last 1-2 gains is not going to matter in field IMHO unless you are really stretching things. I am thinking of backing down a little anyway and comparing at range. 1800-1900 mv should be fine for what I intend to do. FWIW Buffalo Bore loads a 180@1850 from a 18.5" Marlin, not bad at all.

Taking mine this evening to try to get a deer in the woods. Will report if I do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
D, my latest loads I looked at notes, 19.0 but I would suggest 17.5-18 to start, if that is within book loads. That last 1-2 gains is not going to matter in field IMHO unless you are really stretching things. I am thinking of backing down a little anyway and comparing at range. 1800-1900 mv should be fine for what I intend to do. FWIW Buffalo Bore loads a 180@1850 from a 18.5" Marlin, not bad at all.

Taking mine this evening to try to get a deer in the woods. Will report if I do.

To be clear 6.5BR; what powder are you refering to? H110, or 'Lil gun?

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Sorry missed that, yes it is 19.0 of Lil Gun I am using now. Have a plethora of H110 and a little 296, and some 4227 but for now I am happy with Lil Gun.

H110 loads I believe will stop around 15-15.5 before it's compressing and swelling cases trying to get bullet down to crimp.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Update, my 357 is now 'properly broken - in" killed a doe at 75 steps, never moved after my 158 SP hit her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update, my 357 is now 'properly broken - in" killed a doe at 75 steps, never moved after my 158 SP hit her.

Congratulations! Feels good don't it. . . .

Just now got back from the woods with a friend and a few lever actions. The .357 is fast becoming my favorite. In fact, my buddie shot mine out to about 250 yards with the 180s, and it put a big grin on his face, as well as a comment about wanting one. Great little carbines.

posted Hide Post
Although I don't have a 357 rifle...I do load a .357 158gr Horn jhp for use in my Marlin 336 35 Rem. Last month I dropped a button buck at 70 yards. I really like those Horn 158 slugs.