THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Which 222 rem: Ruger #1-A or Winchester 1885 Low Wall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 222 rem: Ruger #1-A or Winchester 1885 Low Wall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Winchester produced some 1885 low walls in 222 rem last year, and Ruger is making the #1-A light sporter in 222 rem this year. I am a huge fan of the 222 and wonder which of the above rifles AR members would prefer in this caliber. I know what to expect, acurracy wise, from the ruger. However, I have no experience with the low walls. What do you guys think. I'm sure the best answer would be to buy both, but that is not in my poll. One of these would be on my bucket list anyway as I can't afford one right now. Thanks for your input.

Question:
Which of the following rifles would you prefer?

Choices:
Ruger #1-A 222 rem
Winchester 1885 Low Wall 222 rem

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, posted in the wrong section. Can the moderater please move to the single shot rifle section?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both rifles in 22 Hornet. The 1885 is more accurate out of the box but the Ruger can be made to shoot also. 1885 has a better trigger. That being said, I like the Ruger #1 better.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Steyr SL 222 with a set trigger, but it has a bolt on the side of it :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd probably pick the low wall, for no other reason than I just like the look of a low wall better.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The low wall for me. #1s can be a struggle sometimes in the accuracy dept. and I think the low wall looks nicer.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I will order a No.1-A, 222, after all I only have 5 No.1's.

Craftsman

Posts: 1533 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Single shot rifles have hammers.

Low wall has a hammer!

Thus an 1885 is the only possible choice

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought these were single shot rifles, not leverguns...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have a lever.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so does the pump house out at the ranch.

The legal description of either is a falling block single shot rifle.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pump has one?

Now that's a funny comeback, and I don't kere who ya are! jumping

I prefer the Ruger 1A, hands down..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote