THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester Mod. 1892 .38 WCF loads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Mod. 1892 .38 WCF loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a great Christmas this year!

I bought myself a very nice Winchester Mod. 1892, 24� barrelled rifle in .38 WCF cal with a nice crisp shiny bore. (I only wished that the outside was just as minty...) The serial number indicates that it was built in 1920.

I would primarily like to use this rifle for plinking and cowboy target, but on occasion I would also like to take it hunting deer sized game. After going through my loading manuals, I was not able to locate much in the way of data. The few loads that I was able to find are out of old manuals and are either very mild designed for toggle linked 1873s or the full on Model 1892 loads found in the older Lyman manuals. I suppose for the deer, I�ll have to go with the high-pressure loads and use the 200 grain 10 mm bullets.

Does anybody have any good up to date reloading data for the .38-40 using modern bullets and powders? I have a Corbin cannelure tool that�s been lying around mostly unused (until now), so using the new 10mm/40 cal bullets will be no problem. This gives me a range from 135-200 grain bullets to pick from. I�m also interested in developing loads on medium burning rate pistol powders like Blue Dot, No. 7 and SR-4756.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there,

Did you get anywhere with this load?

If not, anyone got any good loads for a 38WCF?

Thanks

Kyle

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot strictly cast in my 38WCF but I do have Ken Waters data from Pet Loads. If you e-mail or PM me perhaps we can figure a way for me to send it to you. Regards, Woody

Bring a kid along.

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
Modern bullets for an antique rifle?

I recommend using cast bullets and fffg blackpowder with SPG lube.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good cartridge !
I recomend a good cast bullet for most of your shooting, But see no reason not to shoot jacketed bullets for game.
Somthing in the 180 grain variety would be my choice, and I would stay away from hollow points.
A good cast semi wadcutter would be a dandy all around bullet.
I asume you have the good sence not to hot rod your rifle.
I have a load book for old wetern cartridges,
It shows a load using AA1680 and a 185 cast bullet, start load of 21.2 velocity 1337, and a max load of 23.5 for 1519. Shows a CUP of 14000.

there is another load using H-4227 that pushes a 180 grain bullet of unknown type at 1800 FPS.
They don't list a starting load and it says rifle only.
I might sugjest you start at about 20 grains and work up.
I have a 1927 vintage SRC in 44/40.
Man is it ever fun. and accurate as hell.
I prety much baby it as far as loads go.
But its so light and handy I might try to work up a decent power load for back pack trips in the wild.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My M1892 SRC dates to 1894 and shoots factory .38-40s well, and I have loaded up plenty of cast bullet loads to hot pistol level using Unique. Best thing that ever happened to the .38-40 was the 10mm pistol craze that has given us a fresh batch of bullets.

LLS

Posts: 188 | Location: Texas, via US Navy & Raytheon | Registered: 17 August 2008Reply With Quote