New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 1895 caliber conversions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Of all the lever actions my personal favorite is the Win m/1895.
I'm fairly familiar with the various factory calibers the rifle was made in, but to which calibers have you converted it to or to which do you know it to have been converted to?
What is the most powerful cartridge you know of in the 1895?
I know about Z-Hat's conversions to the various Hawk/Scovill calibers, do you have any experience in using them: do they achieve the promised velocities and is the gun durable enough for heavy loads?
I've also seen pics of one in .35 Whelen.
Both rimmed and rimless caliber conversions interest me.

What's the biggest game you've taken with a 1895? And with what caliber was that?

Apparently a conversion from rimmed to rimless can cause extraction problems, but from what I've heard those guns that have originally been made for rimless work ok. Comments on this?

I have one of the original Russian ones re-chambered for 8,2x53R, i.e. .323 caliber.
My main game is Finnish elk.
Only one factory load is available: Sako's 200grs Hammerhead.
This summer I hope to try out some loads with heavier bullets.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so that is a 200 gr bullet at what 2250
fps maybe 2300fps? guess here 730-750 meters ps
i am thinking that is plenty for any moose
you are gonna run into.

the only cartridges i can think of in the 95 are 30-40 krag ,the one i have.
7.62x54R, 30-06 30-03, 405 winchester.
there may have been others like 303british.
mine is staying as it is.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one (very nice) in 9.3x62. Regards.

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
so that is a 200 gr bullet at what 2250
fps maybe 2300fps? guess here 730-750 meters ps
i am thinking that is plenty for any moose
you are gonna run into.

Yes, it's plenty - especially in view of the load being 2526fps (770m/s)!
Sako loads 200grs 7,62x53R and .308Win @ 745m/s, i.e. 2444fps and this has also been proved to be plenty for both elk and bear.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've got a Browning variant in the safe, that will eventually become 375 Whelen.
I'm happy with my two shooters, 30-06 and 405, using cast bullets.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Here is mine in .35 Whelen.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
In 405 with a 30/40 custom barrel from Wild West Guns.

Rich

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 411 Hawk on the Win 1895. Have yet to draw blood with it though...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW I have one of the Miroku .405's

Now I think if you've got an original M-1895 it's sacrilege to alter the caliber! If however, you've got one of the Re-Intro's from Miroku, then by all means have at it. Go hard!

But IN MY OPINION the .405Win is the ultimate caliber for the M-1895.

Now if I were able to afford it, and could get my hands on more Miroku M-1895's to do this sorta thing, then I think I'd look at some of the suggestions like .35Whelen or .50-110, something like that.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best hunting buddy had a Browning 1895 .30/40 converted to .35 Win. by Doug Turnbull and they did a beautiful job. You'd swear it was factory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have fired nearly 1000 rounds in pressure testing the 411 hawk. It is capable of launching a 300 grain to 2500+fps and a 350-360 grain to 2250fps. That is a pretty good thump in a rifle of that stock design. I personally wouldn't want much more. I limited the pressures to 10+% under the parent cartridges (270-30-06). The rifle will take the full factory pressure but the brass life will suffer. There was very little velocity to be gained from the extra 7-8Kpsi anyway.

The two most practical conversions are to either 35 Whelen or 9.3x62. Both are capable of taking nearly any game desired and both have factory loads that are loaded to pressures that are compatible with the rifle. Both can be done by boring the existing barrel whereas, the larger calibers are best done with a new barrel.

I had no troubles with OALs in the area of 3.25" but the stock magazine will not handle 3.34" loads so choose the loading components accordingly.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NFMike,

Have you only tested the gun, or also hunted with it? If so, what bullets do you use?

I also doubt whether anything above 9,3x62 would really be needed, and a fine caliber it is.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know several others that have taken it hunting but I only did testing for pressure, velocity, and terminal performance. Mostly I used my own bullets, which are not available anymore.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G has a really nice .405 that he had worked on to be able to seat the bullet out and he get 450-500 velocities with it, a 400 gr. bullet at 2100 FPSm that would be my choice for a lever action elk rifle.

I also think the 95 in a 9.3x62 is a very desirable elk caliber..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I been off this forum for awhile,but I just got a Browning 1895 back from Z-hat custom.I had it converted to a 9.3 x 62 and had the barrel cut down to 20.5,a quick release scout scope ,2.75, with ghost ring sights. I like it alot,the action is better than any rifle I have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures, pictures, my friend!

How is to shoot?
Did you alter the stock to get it a tad more recoil friendly, maybe? I've been thinking that less drop, and maybe a more rounded comb would be good ideas if going up to 9,3 caliber.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I cannot tell a differents between an 06 and the 9.3,as recoil is concerned,so I did nothing to the stock. I am just setting up my computer so pic's will be slow coming,

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Here is my .405 winchester. I love it. I'm haveing a receiver peep sight installed as we speak. Sweet shooter.

coffee

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks the business!

About the sight: is the Buffalo Arms' one?
I ordered one from them awhile ago, you see, but they had a problem in getting them delivered from the manufacturer in Ukraine (I thought, whyn't I get an Ukrainian bride and fetch the sight while I'm at it?), and they offered another sight, instead. But even that one has not yet been delivered...
So I am still awaiting delivery.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also think the 95 in a 9.3x62 is a very desirable elk caliber..

The more I think of a '95 in 9.3x62 the more I like it.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote