Find
Notify
Tools

Dandy deer rifle in camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I promise I will get pictures.

We are in camp and my friend from Montana brought a 1901 Winchester 1894 30/30 takedown, with an octogon barrel and pistol grip. He has had it for 25 years and never taken any game with it. Hopefully that changes this weekend.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes please post some pictures.

Good luck with his hunt. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hope he makes meat! Would love to see this rifle.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's fantastic. Yes, please post pictures! I'm so glad the rifle is out of the safe and being used instead of being handled by kid gloves.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not been able to get pictures to post here through imgyr off my phone. I am happy to email them to anyone that would like to see. They are not great. If anyone wanted to post them that would be great.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope when pictures are posted the rifle is laid across the flank of a big Montana 6x6 Whitetail or 4x4 Muley.

Posts: 10900 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. No such luck. We were in North Carolina.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collin, Ah the OP said friend from Montana in camp not camp in Montana. So, much for my reading comprehension. I hope Mr. Winchester met Mr. North Caroline black bear or Whitetail.

Was the hunter able to bloody the old girl?

Posts: 10900 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly not at a disadvantage if one is a hunter, and a decent hunt..it is truly a dandy camp gun..I have killed and seen killed many Mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn, and elk with the old Winchesters from the 25-35 to the 49-90..main thing is get pretty close know where the gun shoots up to 200 yards. I have never felt at a real disadvantage with a Win. mod 94 in 25-35 or 30-30 caliber, unless I was strictly hunting for a real trophy, which I seldom do these days, more like a cow elk or a spike or forky Mule deer..Trophy hunting and meat hunting is two different ball games. Ive had to pass on some outstanding trophy deer and elk, because I was packing a 30-30 or 25-35 but I knew that before I left the house and can live with it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote