THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    John Wayne and the "big Loop" LA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wayne and the "big Loop" LA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted
Dear Fellows!

I am a long time Western fan, and a LA Collecetor.

( well, maybe "Accumulator" ;-))

I´ve taken game with LA´s.

I have at last count, at least ( only ) eight LA´s. I intend to up that number ;-)))

.30-30, .357, .44 Mag, ,44 - 40, .45 - 70.

Now my question:

I´ve seen Stagecoach.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0iBF088YzZ0&feature=related

I´ve seen True Grit.

( NOT to make it under the 10 best Western )

I´ve seen "Terminator II". ( Arnie COULDN´T resist ;-))

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcLI6QNYRs

I´ve watched the scenes on DVD, and then on Youtube - endlessly!

I always figured, that the "large loop lever trick" was "let it forawrd, pull it back". From study of the vids, it´s kinda of a "circular movement"!?!?!

"throw it forward, let it rotate"

???

How´s it done?

Thanks in advance, also any comments on reality and "gun mishandling" are welcomed!

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
You can do one-handed cycling without the large lever loop, but it takes a little practice (and a suitably smooth action.) I guess it might look sorta cool, but it doesn't have any value that I can see other than showing off.

IIRC the initial reason for the large lever loops was as a convenience so that the shooter wouldn't have to remove his gloves. Apparently there wasn't enough demand for them in the early days to justify their production in large numbers.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Well, it´s just that I want to know, how exactly it´s done. For showing off, eventually.

The standard levers ARE too small for my hands, so I´ll get a large loop LA anyway. With standard loops I like two fingers in the loop, the pinky finger under the loop. This has the added advantages of a better hand "angle", more like having a "pistol grip" ( instead of a stright stock ). Furthermore it´s easier this way to deactivate the lever safety of the Post 64 Win 94.

Any ideas or instructions or a detailed video would be appreciated!

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well now. I was in a gunshop that had a second-hand Wrangler. (I should have bought it as I think it was in 30-30.)

When the shop man was busy, I gave it a whirl.
This I new how from the old Rifleman series.

I nearly fell over when it worked perfectly. Called my mate over to watch that the hammer went from full down to full cock.

The thing is, I have long arms, and the barrel was quite short. (probably 16"?)
I seem to notice Mr. Wayne in Rooster Cogburn or something having more of an across the chest, pointed out to the right.

So all I did was holding the rifle straight forward, muzzle up a little, throw the lever forward smartly against the inertia of the rifle.

Get full arm extension BEFORE the muzzle comes back and around or the front sight catches on ya shirt/tit whatever.

As the muzzle gets back to the start position you just smartly jerk the lever back, against the rotation of the stock, and whip your thumb over the grip. Bobs your uncle, and NO I don't do picks or videos. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you have arms like a gorilla, use a 16" barrel rifle. Front site to the arm pit is not a very pleasent experience....trust me on this one....I have up close and personal experience!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
;-)

I have a 16" Wrangler in .30-30, I´ll try it!

And I already asked my gunsmith to order a 16" Rossi with large loop lever - but I want it in .44-40, and I don´t know if that´s possible.

( and I think I´ll do a little trying over the bed, so it won´t harm the rifle, if it falls! )

;-)

Thanks, Hermann