THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Browning Model 92 357 mag convert 2 357 max or not
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Browning Model 92 357 mag convert 2 357 max or not
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With the above said, the 336 would be the best action choice; far smoother than a Winny 94.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one of these 357 mag Browning model 92.It is the slickest lever action I have ever shot for sure.It just does not have enough power.I either wanted to convert it to 357 maxium or sell it.It will eject the 357 max if I stick it in chamber and catch the ejector and it will eject loaded 357 max.I wonder if this action will handle the 357 Maxium pressure.I usually shoot aa1680 powder to the max in my 357 max with 180 gr hornady xtp bullets.I think it would be a cool gun in 357 max.It is like shoot a red ryder with 38 specials now.Does any one know what all would be involved in this conversion?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One the same note has anyone tried to convert any lever action to .357 Max? I am in the process of buying a Competitor pistol with a .357 Max. barrel and would be interested in another weapon in that caliber.
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The action length should be fine, because it will handle longer cartridges.. (the 94, anyway) I'm not sure about the 92. It ought to make a pretty nice light deer rifle...

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BUT, will it feed one from the magazine through the cartridge carrier? That is where the expense will come; in making it feed through the action. The Win 92 type is extremely difficult (read: expensive) to convert to any round longer than original. A factory loaded 357 Maxi is .3" longer than a 480 Ruger and almost .2" longer than a 454. And they are a tight fit. 180+gr bullets could take it beyond that. I believe you would find it far easier and cheaper to think of using either a Win94 or better yet, Marlin336.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had guy who said he could do it for less than $200 but I didnt believe him.I didnt want to ruin the gun because 357 mag Browning model 92s are pretty rare.It will eject it but the carrier would probally be the biggest problem.I would like a 357 maxium its pretty close to 35 remington but way lighter and more efficent.I like the smoothness of the model 92 way smoother than the model 94.I have been shooting Winchester Big 94s with 375 winchesters.They are not half as smooth as the model 92 Browning.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop over to www.leverguns.com, and ask Paco he mite know some one who can do it, I don't think the 92 action is long enough for it, the one I saw done was on an early 336 marlin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a thread on on leverguns.com about converting a 444 marlin to 445 supermag by cutting off the rear of the barrel and rechambering. They found they need the longer action to handle the supermag length round.
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote