New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 94 Trapper .44 Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, do any of you have any experience with the winchester 94 Trapper in .44 Mag? I want one for whitetail hunting in New Hampshire. Ranges are really short, about 100 yards max. I am thinking about either a williams 5d sight, or a Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32 scope on it. I would probably also install the large loop lever that is at brownells. It would be a nice light, quick, good handling rifle.

NH_Hunter

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag. It shoots in one hole to 75 yards. Groups open up a little at 100. It has a Williams peep. This is my third 44 Mag rifle. I use a 44 revolver quite a bit and bought this rifle for a "camp" rifle my wife [ ] I killed a lot of deer with my first 44. They are VERY effective out to 125 yards, the farthest I killed a deer with it. My Niece killed a nice pig with the Trapper at 20 yards with a Factory Nosler 250 Partition. One shot behind the shoulder and the pig went right down.
If you have a 44 Mag revolver I highly recommend a 44 rifle.
However if I did not or was not going to have a 44 revolver I would get a Marlin Guide gun in 45/70.
The 44 will kick quite a bit less and it does a great job on deer and pigs, the 45/70 is just a little more of a good thing.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE, you know you need a levergun in 45-70 anyway. Remember, you're buying it for your wife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .44 maggie Wrangler with a Williams receiver sight that is nice. Loads from Specials to 180 gr & 300 gr maggies. Goes well with a good revolver.

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
475Guy
I had a Marlin 45/70, sold it to my nephew in law. It was the 22" rifle. My brother has a 45/70 Guide gun. both are nice rifles.
Anyone who uses a 44 Mag pistol should get a 44 rifle. They make a very good pair.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 44 mag this deer season for brush hunting. I had a hard time locating a Winchester trapper. All the '94's I looked at had really sloppy triggers and were made in Japan. So I looked at and bought a Marlin '94 in 44 mag. Much nicer trigger, Made in the good old US of A and sets a scope nicely on top of the receivor.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote