Find
Notify
Tools

Ring height for a BLR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted
I just picked up a BLR in 358. What rings would be recommended. I'm looking hard at the Zeiss Conquest in 2.5-8.

When I looked at my Dad's BLR (in 284) he has 1 1/8 in from the top of the receiver and the scope centerline in order to get his thumb at the hammer. He was using Leupold bases and rings, but I don't know which ones.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might consider one of the compact scopes with a small ocular. That will help you get the scope CL a little lower.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before going back to a Williams receiver sight & fiber optic front, my .358 BLR had a Leupold M8 4X. I used Weaver bases & Millett low rings, & had no thumb on hammer problems. I choose the bases & rings for low positioning & light weight. The factory open sights were useable with bases in place. Simply unscrew the rings, & you're in business.

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've struggled with this a lot. for a scope with a 32 mm bell you need medium rings anything bigger you need high rings. note, you still have to take off the rear sight for them to work !
I have 3 blr's and it's been a problem. I use a 1.5x4.5 leaupold on my .358 A 2x7 works fine on the other two

one of us
posted Hide Post
use a Leupold 1x4 varible, thats all the scope you will need for hunting..and you can get it down real low..I use a few of the old 3X Leupolds and they are a great scope.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Can I gain enough clearance on the hammer by getting a scope with more eye relief.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need a hammer extension. Uncle Mike's has some that fit most of them. I have been unable to find one that will fit an 81 with the folding hammer. Maybe one for the new version will fit, as the new one's have a folding hammer also.