THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Action Tuning to Allow for Longer COL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action Tuning to Allow for Longer COL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seems that I recall that there were a few gunsmiths in the recent past that were offering lever action modifications that would allow longer overall cartridge lengths to be cycled through the various lever action rifles. Seems like the Marlins were candidates for this type of work; maybe Model 71's, too. With the various brass and copper bullets available these days, this doesn't seem like a bad idea. On the other hand, are these modifications feasible and safe? And has anyone here done/or had this done to their rifles? The names of Mic McPherson and David Clay come to mind of lever action smiths who have, or may have, offered this service in the past. You don't really here too much about these guys, anymore, though. Then again, maybe I'm not hanging around in the right circles.
Anyway, any comments, suggestions, or experiences regarding this type of work would be appreciated. Names of reputable smiths who legitimatly do this type of work would be appreciated, also. Thanks.

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
It depends on what gun you want to modify and what cartridge. The Marlin 1895/336 is 2.55 length from the factory and has been modified up to 2.7. The 1886 Winchester is regularly modified from 45/70 length to 45/90 length.
The 2 firms I know that regularly do this kind of work are Wild West Guns and Turnbull Restoration. Generally in rechambering from short to longer cartridges. 45/70 to .457WWE or 45/70 to .470 Turnbull or .475 Turnbull.
The only reason I would need the lengthening done is on a rechamber. You are only looking at a difference of 100 to 150 fps by increasing the length and then you get all the geometry problems in feeding and bullet shape if you do it.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckeyeshooter:
Thanks for your assistance. I'll probably just sit tight on this project. Regards.

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MikeD,

the '86 is your best bet, they were factory chambered in 45-90, and I have an original USA made Winchester M71 that is now a 50-110.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote