THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester 1892 - Original Finish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1892 - Original Finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi there,

I have an 1892 made in 1913. The finish is a little worse for wear after 95 years and I was looking at getting it re-finished.

What would the original finish have been? The metal is grey in colour, but would it have originally been blued?

Any suggestions or info about getting it re-finished would be gratefully recieved Smiler

Kyle

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you refinish your 92 it will lower any colectable value,
If you want a nice new shiny one get a puma.
Origional 92s are getting prety scace.
What chambering is yours in. Is it a rifle or a saddle ring carbine.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is 44-40

It has a ring, how do I tell if it is the rifle or carbine? What length would the carbine be?

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I have a '92 made in 1906 (38-40)and its in rough shape also. Mine has no collector value because somewhere along the line somebody cut the buttstock and installed a old red recoil pad. I do love to shoot it though!!
So, if yours is in the same condition...refinishing is up to you.
I wouldn't mine having mine done up with new wood and case coloring.
Maybe after my next deployment I'll send it to Turnbull for some TLC...till then, I'll keep shooting it!!

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a a saddle ring carbine.
I recomend you go to the cabella's gun library and see what they are going for.
Prety well used ones go for 1800.00
. Its been years since I,ve seen one for less then 1200 in any condition.
The 44/40 is the most sought after caliber in the 92. Most were rechamberd to 44 mag years ago. AND saddle ring carbines are rather rare.
Not knowing the condition of you rifle , I can say it will almost certainly reduce the value if you you perminatly alter it in any.
I will PM you with my phone number, and feel free to call, I love old winchesters.
...tj3006

freedom1st