New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Marlin Express
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I am looking for a lever gun that will a dedicated saddle rifle for use here in Colorado and New Mexico. Primarily when I use my horses I am hunting elk so it's got be a round with some authority and a bit of reach.

While I am not a new caliber gadget kind of guy I found the .338 ME to be at least of some interest for the intended purpose. I started to look into it and have found multiple bad reviews of the new "Remlins". Apparently they are NOT doing a very good job building these rifles.

Have any of you guys played with the .338ME and if so what were you experiences?

The more I look into this the more a nice M-71 sounds like the ticket. What say you?

While I know the simple answer is just get a BLR there is something about the BLR that makes me want to barf. I just can't cozy up to a BLR for some reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm actually a pretty big BLR fan, having owned a straight stock .308, and currently owning a .325 WSM take down, both of which I liked/like quite well. That said, about six months ago, I stumbled into a current production M71 at the local Cableas, and couldn't keep my hands off of it. It's certainly not cheap, but it didn't feel cheap either. If you don't like the BLR, then I'd say go for the M71.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If you purchase a 338ME make positive the serial number starts with 92. That will be a 1998 (1st year Marlin made) gun. 91 serial numbers have the most problems with barrels screwed in crooked and chambers cut wrong. If it has a serial number starting in MR it is a Remington made gun and has a higher likelyhood of problems. They are not in production now so you will have to find new old stock or a used gun.
The lever evolution ammo shoots flat but the bullet is very soft. I have shot 7 deer with this bullet and they all broke up and seperated the jacket on shots 50 to 75 yards. I want an exit wound -- which this bullet does not give you so I do not like it.
If I were buying a new rifle and had access to the new USRA 71. I would buy it in a heartbeat over the Marlin. The 348 is a proven round and it will provide like ballistics to 200 yards.
My marlin express

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
How about a Browning/Winchester 1895 in .30-06?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning BLR in 450 Marlin as well as a Marlin 1895GS. I haven't had a lick of trouble with the Browning but I have with the Marlin whose serial number begins with the numbers 91. The chamber is fine and it shots pretty well. However, after about 75 rounds, the forearm cracked. We sent it back to Marlin and they replaced the forearm but when they shipped it back to me, they just tossed it in a box. The stock got broken in shipping so it had to go back again. It's all fixed now but I haven't shot it since it came back so I don't know how it will hold up. My BLR is a takedown and frankly, it is a much better gun. That 325 WSM would be a heck of an elk round but then again, so would a Model 71.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As most here know I have an XLR in 450M.

It came out of the box just fine...

if you like Stainless steel and Lamanated wood (which I don't).

All I did was add a set of after market peep sights (Brockmans).

Given I love the 450M this is hard to say.

I would never buy another Marlin or Ruger Proprietary cartridge cause IMO they do not have enough faith in them to market them and stay the course.

Even if it is a great round they will drop it.

Snake

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought in 2012 for just over $400. Blue and walnut, which I prefer. It came with dies, a box of Hornady factory ammo, a receiver sight, and a mould. It was in the original box when it arrivd here and Looked NIB when I got it, but it WAS a used rifle that I got from a Pennsylvania gun shop which had it on the rack a long time.

I like it well enough that I bought another 300 rounds of brass for it when I found the brass on sale for like $40 per 100.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
How about a Browning/Winchester 1895 in .30-06?

Funny you should mention that. I just bought an original 1895 SRC built in 1905. It's chambered in .30 Army (.30-40 Krag) I like it so much that I am now looking for one in .30-06.