THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Whose going to get a 1895 .475 Linebauge ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whose going to get a 1895 .475 Linebauge ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read a little about the .475 lineabuaghe ?? round now chambered in the 1895 what are it's ballsitics ?? would you bother getting one over the 45/70 ?? I mean what advantages does it offer over the good old 45/70 ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC, I would get excited about it yet. Nobody has seen one yet. Marlin may have one listed on their website, but when will it actually go into production? By the way that's Linebaugh. Unless they have done some engineering changes to the receiver, I still have my doubts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

what are the ballsitics of the linebaugh is it as powerful as the 45/70 ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC, the only advantage the 475 has is the larger caliber bullet.

It can perform at factory/trapdoor 45-70 levels.

the 475 will fire a 400 grain bullet at around 1300fps, but does it at around 49,000 PSI - instead of the 45-70's presure level of 25,000 CUP.

The 45-70 can be loaded much hotter than the 475, atleast in a Marlin.

***Edited to correct the 475 pressure - It is not 59,000 - it is 49,000. Sorry if I caused any confusion - I was working from memory alone with out the aid of coffee, which is very dangerous for me!!***

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Dave Thomas said, the 45-70 is a better choice with upper loads going at almost 1900. That being said, I think the 1895 is better suited for the longer cartridge rather than the shorter 475. As I stated before, unless there is a major engineering change, I still have my doubts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hold my breath too hard on one of theese every being manufactured and sold to the public. Last year we saw the same thing with Winchester and the model '94 in 480 Ruger. The ballistics were so close to the 45-70/450 Marlin that their was insufficient orders by distributors to ever manufacture the thing. The same is true for Marlin. In last years catalog they list a model 1894 Cowboy with a 20" octagon barrel in 44 mag. I placed an order a year ago and still no gun I also wonder if the new Marlin in 32 will go the same route.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubts that they will make them, but they won't make them long if they do not sell.
I have held a 32-20 Marlin in my hands - could have taken it home for a few pennies shy of $700. Marlin only made 501 of these. They will make limited runs of the 32 H&R with the same 32-20 barrels and see how they sell.
They will probably make a short run of the 480/475 guns and see how they sell.

I maybe tempted by this one.
Seems like they got the configuration right though: pistol grip, 18" barrel, no ports, ventilated recoil pad.
Looks too good to pass up if it does not cost more than $550.

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck Wagon,
Have you called or talked to another dealer?
If not, I would! Some dealers do not like special orders - they would rather sell what they have on their shelf or nothing at all.
Hope you get your gun soon. I like the short 1894 cowboy guns.

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes guys I have even called the factory. The thing that seems to have changed in the last year is on line ordering. The factory can get a pretty immediate feel for weather a product is going to sell by distributor orders. It's really pretty amazing that technology has advanced to the point that they can offer a product and cancel production before they suffer any further loss. It's not a dealer issue. No one has a Marlin 1894 44 mag with the 20" octagon barrel or a Ruger 480 from last years catalogs except for the few that went out to the writers of select magazines

posted Hide Post
The .475 Linebaugh is nowhere near as powerful as the .45-70 Govt, even when the latter is lheld to the lame 28,000 psi level. When both are operating at 35 to 40 ksi, then the 45-70 will dominate. This idea is goofy. Why not just neck up a .45-70 to .475 caliber? J.D. Jones did that a few years back. Its no improvement, but different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a 475 Linebaugh..what for?
Will it do something at 125 yards that my: 44's, 30-30's, 375's, 444's, 450, 45-70's won't do?

Another stupid idea by Marlin...an appeal to too few...

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ulfhere, as much as it hurts a little bit, I must agree with the 475 JDJ doesn't show that much improvement over the 45-70. I've shot a bunch of little critters with both and can't tell the difference. I had an older 1895 made in the 70's converted to 475 JDJ and ran into immediate problems when I tried to up the velocity on a 500 gr. LBT. The only thing going for it is that there is more frontal area and mass going at the game being shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Less powerful than the 45/70 does not entice me down the .475 trail at all folks, thanks for the low down

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly why I doubt they will make them or if they do that they will sell. Who wants to pay more for ammo and get the same ballistics ? What I really want to know is what is it with Marlin and replicating the 45-70's performance You think they would at least come out with a 45-90 for the historicly accurate or a 50 Alaskan for the Big bore fans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck
A 50-110 for historically accurate and big bore fans sounds much better to me.
I think they would need to lengthen their 1895 receiver to allow for correct COL for 50-110 and the 45-90

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything would be a welcome change from the same ballistics of a 45-70 over and over You think they would at least do a 454 Casull and 45 combo. At least that might be something to talk about but I doubt any one would buy that either. I would line up for a 50-110 just for the heck of it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
now a 50-110 factory offered is the go !!

one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly not going to be getting one. This is just one more offering of Marlin's that makes absolutely no sense to me! I've been very disappointed in what Marlin has brought to the consumer over about the last five years or so. They seem to bring out a lot of stuff like this that is different enough to make it a headache to deal with but offers the consumer no real advantage over what has been on the market for years, while at the same time discontinueing models that DO make logical sense. I just don't know what they're trying to prove.

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with you people?
475L guide gun, rechambered to 475x45-70 and you have one helluva big bore lever.
Think about it. Conversion will be about $150.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, this is called the 470 Caron, if anyone wants to know.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana be can you please tell me more about this conversion your talking about !!

Now that may be a conversion wort hdoing sought of like taking a .458 winnie and making a lott from it ??

where can one get brass and correct dies ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's as simple as rechambering.
Then go get yourself a pile of 45-70s' and a .475" expander button, and loademup.
It already has the barrel, already setup to hold the case (480 is a shortened 45-70) and the rifle is already produced in 45-70.
Very, very, simple.
And yet, as far as I know, no one actually has a 475 Marlin.
Get yourself one and have Pacific grind a reamer, send them to your favorite smith, chop chop, buzz whir, then send a couple three fireformed cases to CH4D and wait for the dies.
In the meantime, get a 450g FLGC mould, and get to work.
Let me know how it goes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary Reeder has been doing this for years. It is called the 475 GNR.
45-70 necked up to 475.

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
This was taken from Reeder's web-site:

Some time back we brought out out Alaska Classic, a 16-ince barrel, all-purpose hunting lever gun in 444. Then a little later we brought it back out 45-70. Now we've gone a step further with what we consider the ultimate in a lever action rifle, our Buffalo Hunter. This beauty is chambered in our 475 GNR, a cartridge we introduced in 1988 as a Contender cartridge. The 475 GNR was a 45-70 case full length, blown out straight to hold a 475 caliber bullet. The exact origin of this cartridge is a bit fuzzy as apparently 2 or 3 people came up with it at about the same time. Be that as it may, the 475 GNR is what we consider the ultimate in a lever gun.

For a larger view click on the picture

Our 475 GNR dies are available from Redding Custom and is one of the easiest cartridges to load. Our Buffalo Hunter is built on the super strong Marlin 1895 with a new heavy 18-inch barrel and full length magazine tube that holds 5 rounds plus one in the chamber. Our Buffalo Hunter utilizes the excellent Ashley rear peep site and gold or white bead in front. Fully engraved, the Buffalo Hunter features a Cape Buffalo on one side and an American Bison on the other. The owner's name can also be engraved and gold inlaid at no extra charge. Smaller metal parts are soft satin Black Chromex finished and the wood is also satin finish with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad for less recoil. A full action job rounds out one of the nicest hunting rifles we've ever built.

Reeder has been advertising this for many years. Seems like a pretty nice package.

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the imfo on the conversion to .475 GNR now has anyone actually seen one of the Marlin rifles in .475 yet ??

Now this a convesrion you would be stupid not to do, to tackle the properly head stamped brass issue which is a little pet issue with me one could get a the backs of the 45/70 brass and have your smith engrave a .475/ before the 45/70 government writing if there is enough room.

Unfortunately this rifle will take a while before it arrives in Australia. Usually we are a year behind you blokes in the states.