THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    .45 colt rifle loads using 250 grain lazer cast bullets..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 colt rifle loads using 250 grain lazer cast bullets..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My remington pure lead 250 grains bullets shoot great with 7.7 grains unique(my pistol load) Now i need a rifle load for 250 grain laser cast bullets in the .45 long colt cownboy.. I tried a load 17 grains of accurat number 9, and the bullets are so hard most of them didnt make it out the end of the barrel.. So what is safe and give good accuracy for you with the lazer cast bullets in the .45colt cowboy.. Thanks dave..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. I used 20 grains of H110 behind a 300 grain gas checked bullet sized .454.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I use 20grn of H110 in my Ruger pistols and 45LC rifles with 250 bullets and they work pretty good...except I haven't killed anything with them yet

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt any more but if I were to hunt I'd guess that a 250 - 300 chunk of lead would put down a deer with authority.
Here in Virginia the shots are pretty close, 100 yards or less. Wouldn'y you be handicapping yourself in S. Dakota, using a 45 Colt rifle?
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fill it full of Black powder and put the cast bullet on top of it. Works good and lots more fun. JMHO

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
We have the plains and the Black Hills in S.D.
I've talked a couple of my buddies into hunting the hills with lever actions and open sights...trying to make it fun again.
I think it would be a blast to hunt the hills with that setup!
I have 2 (357 lever actions) 1 (45LC lever action) 3 (45-70 lever actions) 4 (30-30 lever actions)
I have plenty of long range rifles for the plains...or this year is my 14" 7-30 Waters 'Tender, 15" 257AI XP, or my 18" 6.5x284 Encore.
Shooting from the truck just isn't fun for me anymore.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffffg:
My remington pure lead 250 grains bullets shoot great with 7.7 grains unique(my pistol load) Now i need a rifle load for 250 grain laser cast bullets in the .45 long colt cownboy.. I tried a load 17 grains of accurat number 9, and the bullets are so hard most of them didnt make it out the end of the barrel.. So what is safe and give good accuracy for you with the lazer cast bullets in the .45colt cowboy.. Thanks dave..

AA 9 likes a heavy crimp. I use a few more grains than that in my 44 mag 92. I don't think much of lazercast but their bullets are not harder than jacketed which is OK with that load. I would check the crimp.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Win 94 in 45 Colt that shoots 250 gr XTPs well with 24 gr H110, 16.25" barrel, 1550 fps, 1.6" heavy roll crimp, 3 moa.

The odd thing is that it likes them seated back at the canalure and crimped.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Without knowing which pistol you have, then the rifle loads might be better kept to lower pressures so you don't run the chance of putting high pressure loads where they shouldn't be.
Your pistol load should work in your rifle also.
Win 296 and H110 should not be used with low volume loads. AA9 may be picky this way also.
2400 is a nice powder that can run low to high velocities without many problems.

With your AA9 loads that didn't leave the barrel, was there lots of unburnt powder in the barrel also? It was probably a case of the powder didn't ignite properly. Sometimes a hotter primer will fix that problem. Or go to an easier to ignite powder like 2400 or Unique.

What velocity were you looking to get from your rifle loads?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with that bullet with AA#5 (max load) and with SR4756 (Speer Max or .5 grain over) Shoots well in all my Rugers and Marlins.

Posts: 21 | Location: The mossy side of the Cascades | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lazer cast bullets are crap; but what do you mean they did'nt come out the end of the barrel? They have a tendency to lead badly because of the crap they use for lube, and I'm not sure about the alloy, but some of the worst bullets I've ever seen. I use either 18.5 gr. 2400 or 20 gr. Lil gun powder behind 300 gr. home cast LBTs. Shoot great!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22.0 gr H110 with any bullet but you'll get severe leading at that speed if you don't gas check a lead bullet

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Leading is more a function of bullet diameter then speed. If you bullet is .453 or .454 it's unlikely there will be leading.

Jim