Find
Notify
Tools

1894 question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Since this is NOT a M98 which means that I don't know jack about the 1894 my question is.

Is the glob of silver solder on top of the magazine tube the factory/original way the tube was held in place or was it the little nib ( that doesn't engage the slot on the bottom of the barrel & neither does a new cap either) on the top of the magazine tube cap? One winnie collector tells me that the glob of silver solder is factory original.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug:
Most saddle rings came with a full length mag. However button mags were available, probably on special order. However I've never had one apart and have only seen a scant few.

Most 94's with a full mag simply have a half round slot across the magazine tube that the screw lies across and similar notch on the underside of the barrel.

Is there a small hole under the muzzle end that might indicate it once had a full length mag where a screw that passed through the end cap could bottom in?

Could it be a replacement magazine that hasn't been fitted properly? If there is a slot in the barrel for the nub on the end cap does the nub sit above or below it? If too far out perhaps you can trim the bottom of the tube and it will all come together.

Try taking the band and wood off and dry fitting into the receiver where you can see the allignment. Also check that nothing in the receiver is preventing full seating of the tube.

Sorry I haven't more specifics as they are not that common.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of the barrel. no other notch under the barrel.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug:
Doesn't look right to me. The tube extends too far in front of the wood to seem proper. I'm guessing a replacement tube.

My Madis book shows examples either longer by an inch or there abouts or shorter, almost flush with the wood except for the button.

I don't see the barrel notch in your picture. Is it at the end of the foreend?

stocker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug:
Some of these came with the carbine type fore end wood like yours, others came with the rifle type steel fore end cap and wood. I'm wondering if you don't have a tube that came from one of the latter. Possibly the wood has been swapped or the tube. Some of these rifles saw enough saddle use that the wood became split, worn away etc. Some old timers used their saddle strings to tie it on by the ring and simply stuffed the rifle between the stirrup leathers and the wood took a lot of wear. I don't think anything you do to make it functional again will affect it's value.

stocker

one of us
posted Hide Post
The silver solder is not factory original, never was and never has been..Think about it, you could not take the gun down if its welded together..Some had a dovetail and others were held in place by a screw pin near the crown and barrel bands...never by silver solder...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote