Find
Notify
Tools

Remembering Alberta Canuck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Here are some PMs I exchanged with Alberta Canuck -- Lloyd DeVore -- seven years ago on the subject of Francis Sell and leverguns. Lloyd was a fascinating guy, and a loyal poster here on AR before he passed. I miss AC. RIP sir.

Lloyd De Vore on Francis Sell

javascrip:void(0)
posted 09 December 2014 22:38
Lloyd, one of the fellows here sent me a scan of Francis Sell's article in the September 1982 issue of Rifle on his custom deer rifle in his wildcat, the .25-35 Tomcat. I did not realize until reading it that he had Parker Ackley and Chick Donnelly over to his house the summer he developed the cartridge, that Chick made the barrel and Ackley chambered it.
I never got to meet Parker Ackley, but did get to know Chick, and he was a wonderful man, not just a great barrel maker. If you would like a copy of this article, PM me your e-mail address and I will send it promptly. Where was it you told me Francis had his home?
Best,
Bill

Alberta Canuck
posted 09 December 2014 23:51 Hide Post
Yes Bill, a copy of that would be interesting.

You know, about a year ago I gave away complete sets of both Handloader and Rifle magazines, free of charge, to the local gun shop. All were in like new condition and probably could have ben sold, but I just wasn't up to wrapping & shipping them, and no transport to the post office anyway.

I did know both Chick, and P.O. personally, but I've likely already told you that before.

Anyway, Francis lived just out of Riverton Oregon, which is on he back highway from Coquille to Bandon, about halfway between the two. Going toward Bandon, one turned left off the highway at the south end of town, then right (and uphill) on a dirt (summer) mud (winter) truck trail and drove through the dangdest blackberry jungle I've ever seen...with blackberry bushes about 6-8' high scraping both sides of the vehicle. The trail was barely one lane wide...more like about 6.5' wide, rather than the normal 8-12'.

Sure wish he was still alive, I was still young, and could trade campfire tales with him some more.

Lloyd
This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alberta Canuck, 10 December 2014 05:35
Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001 javascript:void(0);

Bill/Oregon
posted 10 December 2014 01:17 Hide Post
Lloyd, I am glad to hear you knew Chick and P.O. as well as Francis. I have been through Riverton many times on the cutoff to Bandon. I can imagine that truck trail through the blackberries, as that has to be one of the darkest, wettest spots on the central coast. I always wanted to troll that water for salmon. Maybe some day.
My e-mail address is wmbadenpwl@gmail.com. If you have an e-mail address, let me know; otherwise I'd be happy to print you out a copy of the article and mail to Cave Creek.
Bill

posted 06 December 2014 22:32 Hide Post
Lloyd, question: Was just reading my Francis Sell article and he mentions a .257 wildcat he had made up on a Marlin 336, with Marble's rear sight. Further research suggests this was his .25-35 Tomcat -- about halfway to a full .25-35 Ackley Improved. Did you ever get a chance to speak with him about this rifle? I find myself terribly tempted to find a donor and build one. I don't know what it is about the .25-35 and .25 Remington, but I have always had a soft spot for the work these little rifles can get done with a good 117-grain round nose.
Bill

Alberta Canuck
posted 06 December 2014 23:25 Hide Post
No, Bill, the subject never came up. Mostly we chatted about his constant carry of the M71 Winchester for both deer and elk up the hill behind his cabin. The other thing we talked a lot about was his trap range where he could shoot all the stations from his front porch, with his wife as the target puller. (He'd say "pull" and she'd trip the trigger on the trap. It was a self loading trap for 25 birds, but mechanical, not electrical, so she'd have o cock it for each bird.) He actually seemed to like grouse hunting in those woods more than he liked big game hunting.

Sounds like a fun project, but if it was me, I'd just build a standard .25-35. Probably less potential feeding issues as the gun and the cartridge were mad for each other...and it is easy to download he .25-35, clear down to .25-20 power. If I wanted more power, I'd get a .257 Roberts, not an Ackley anything.

But my all-time .25 favorite cartridge for a repeater is the .25 Remington...preferably in a Remington Model 14 or 141. I wouldn't want one in that way too fat & heavy Remington Model 8 or Model 30. A Marlin .25-35 would also tickle my fancy, especially if it was in a Model 36 or Model 93 carbine. Of course I wouldn't kick a Model .226 out of the house either.

I haven't sold any of my lever rifles, and will oly do that if I can see the end closing in fast. I have one of the very last New Haven Winchester M94 carbines made, in .25-35 and as NIB.

If you want, and save this e-mail somewhere, you can contact my wife at my phone number if I suddenly drop dead. And offer to send her a copy of this e-mail, showing that I guaranteed you first kick at the cat...the .25-35 cat that is.

Y'all take care now.

Lloyd

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.
Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001 javascript:void(0);

Bill/Oregon

posted 06 December 2014 23:43 Hide Post
Lloyd, you're not going anywhere soon, so let's just not go there!
;-)
Why, oh why did I sell that nice old Model 94 with crescent butt, 26-inch octagon barrel and Marbles tang sight, in .25-35, back about 1980 or so?
A friend has both a Model 14 and a 141 in .25 Remington, and he has had some trouble finding bullets they like to feed and shoot, but I know one of them has a sketchy bore. I have a nice 141 in .35 Remington that I need to get to the range with.
You take care!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he was indeed a very special guy - we on ar have been blesses with many special guys who have left us

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, thanks for sharing. I was not even aware that Lloyd was dead. It seems to be a common thread that at our age, our contemporaries + friends are dwindling daily. Live a good life because NONE of us gets out of here alive.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that both for AB his info on Francis Sell.

Lots of interesting guys on AR are no longer here for one reason or another unfortunately. Many were a wealth of information.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cougarz, not many here these days remember Francis Sell, but he was a great contributor to magazines and the Gun Digests over the years, in addition to his books on deer and small game hunting.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He has been missed..I recall a discussion withhim onSells 25-35s..Both of us being fans of that little caliber and the pros and cons of the IMP version..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe his last post here was in December of 2015.

– John Green, author