Find
Notify
Tools

1892 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, I am thinking about buying an 1892, preferably in 44-40. Winchester makes one but so do other companies like Rossi. Who makes the nicest one?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old 25/20 I woud sell if your interested in it.

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer 69 but I am looking for a new gun.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Winchester (Miroku) and I think it's great. Fit and finish are very nice and the bore is smooth as glass.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rossi and had it worked by a smith

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

it is great

I still needed to finish the stock...

I'm guessen the Win would be better out of the box

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Doug Turnbull!
The 92 is a 44-40 takedown and the 1886 is a 32 inch barreled 50-110.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Curious about the 44-40? It's this a difficult cartridge to reload? If not reloading isn't this cartridge expensive to use factory loads?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Jim,
its said to be difficult to reload. I can't say that I have had any problems reloading it other than a problem using Magtech brass. The Magtech cases (according to Magtech are designed around south American specs) the have a channelure around the case where US manufactured cases have a shoulder. Well, the Magtechs will eventually split there after several firings.
With US cases, one can load and fire with the same ease as 44 mag. cases. I shoot 44-40 in CAS with Black powder to the tune of 1000 rounds a month. With smokeless in a 92, you can equal a 44 magnum performance with unique and a 200 grain xtp. Makes a good short range deer gun.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, PM sent.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the 38-40 and the 44-40 are spin offs from the 45 Colt. Or maybe the 45 Colt is a spin off from the other two.
I shoot a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt with good effect.
Thanks for filling me in on the 44-40.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sam:

PM answered.

Guys, as a general rule I don't reload pistol cartridges. I have an Uberi 1873 in 44-40. I have a case of Winchester 200 grain lead ammo that I bought for it that's why I was thinking about the 92 in 44-40.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Starline brass, and it loads like any other cartridge though the 44-40 neck is very thin and easily damaged. I shoot almost magnum level loads with 200 grain JSP bullets and get excellent accuracy.

quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Jim,
its said to be difficult to reload. I can't say that I have had any problems reloading it other than a problem using Magtech brass. The Magtech cases (according to Magtech are designed around south American specs) the have a channelure around the case where US manufactured cases have a shoulder. Well, the Magtechs will eventually split there after several firings.
With US cases, one can load and fire with the same ease as 44 mag. cases. I shoot 44-40 in CAS with Black powder to the tune of 1000 rounds a month. With smokeless in a 92, you can equal a 44 magnum performance with unique and a 200 grain xtp. Makes a good short range deer gun.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I have one of the Rossi 1892's and really like it. That said, I think the Winchester/Browning/Miroku guns are always well-finished and well-machined. The sample I saw at the NRA show was "nicer" than my Rossi.

I don't think you can go wrong.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
srose had a unfired 44 Mag model 92 Browning with a 20 inch barrel that he was willing to part with. The check went in the mail today. Thanks Sam.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
I have a Rossi 92 & a new Winchester 92. The Win. is a more substantial rifle, but so is the 2x price.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rossi 92's are good rifles. The parts inside lack final polishing but they all function and shoot fine. The Winchester's have a much better finish to them, (and they have Winchester stamped on them) but they cost a great deal more.

The .44/40 is not a difficult cartridge to reload. I have never had any issues with it apart from getting a good crimp sometimes. The case mouths are thinner, but that's not a barrier to anything.
I would get a Rossi in .44/40, I have owned or used three of them in that caliber over the years, and will get another one one day, just because I like them. My father had one with 24inch octagonal barrel and it was a 1-1.5 inch grouper at 100 yards, with a tang peep sight on it.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote