New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortening magazine tubes- why?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I have seen quite a few old model 94's that had magazine tubes shortened, and I was wondering why people did this? The only thing I could think of would be if the tube had gotten damaged, but I really have no clue. Anyone care to shed some light on the subject?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only thought is that it looks so much better, hard to beat a 2/3's length tube on a 24" rifle. Probably balances better with longer barrels as well.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
At one time, all of the Wichester lever action rifles could be ordered with whatever magazine tube length the customer wanted. You could specify button, half, 2/3rds, etc or even the number of cartridges you wanted the magazine to hold.

Could you imagine a Winchester '86 with a 36" barrel and a full length mag tube. Sheeze.

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thing a shorter tube will do is to eliminate the barrel band around the muzzle. That barrel band is a significant contributor to inaccuracy in lever actions unless it is relieved to be a loose slip fit around the barrel.

Gun Digest has had some good articles on making lever actions shoot and relieving the barrel stress caused by the barrel band was a definite "must-do".

It also moves the weight and balance back toward the receiver.

Besides, I agree that a 24" barrel with a 2/3's magazine just looks great, like some Model 64's or particularly that Marlin which is sitting in a pawn shop right now and which I don't need at all, I absolutely don't need it, nope, ain't gonna buy it, no matter that the price is great 'cause no one wants old used Marlin .30-30's, even if it is just the coolest looking Marlin I've ever seen, even if.... Uh, excuse me, I'll be back in a while.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote