THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Would you buy a Marlin chambered in 50 S&W?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you buy a Marlin chambered in 50 S&W?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just curious if anyone would be interested in a Marlin 1895 chambered in a 50 S&W?

I never have been one to buy the flavor of the month cartridge but feel this would be a very efficient close range lever gun with plenty of power for most jobs on deer and black bear.

Seems like Marlin is trying to keep up with the Remingtons and the Winchesters with their own short magnums so to speak. Chambering the 1895 RL in 480 Ruger/475 Linebaugh seems to be a start. If this sells well for them then I think the 50 S&W will be next.

Any thought or comments?

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Marlin were to do an 1895 in .50 caliber, they'd be better off with a .50 Alaskan (it'll out-perform the .500 S&W in a rifle and do so at lower pressure).

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 47 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
No. $39.00 for a box of 12 factory rounds???? You have to be kidding me.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No but I would run to the store for a 50 express

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something like this made by WWG in Anchorage? It's not made on a Marlin action, but sure looks like one.

By the way, no I wouldn't buy one.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a marlin in .50 S&W, but I might buy a Ruger #1.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If Marlin were to do an 1895 in .50 caliber, they'd be better off with a .50 Alaskan (it'll out-perform the .500 S&W in a rifle and do so at lower pressure).

Correctamundo! I'd buy one of THESE in a heartbeat!

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

It would probably make a fun gun to have, but I sure as hell don't want that wild west one that is equipped with a billboard on the side of the receiver. That is just tasteless

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
No. But I'd scoop up a 94 Winchester in .50 S&W in the blink of an eye!!!!

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, because I just got my 20" Encore barrel and want to see how it does there first.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deleted

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Martin. I'm not associated with Wild West Guns in any way. Sorry if I led anyone to believe otherwise.

I've never owned any of WWG's stuff either. I've just seen so many folks looking for the 500 S&W in a lever gun that I posted this information.

I'm not a Marlin fan, either. The only leverguns I have are the 411 Hawk in the Winchester 1895 and an old Winchester 94 in 30 WCF.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why? I have a Guide Gun. What will the 50 S&W really do that a 400 gr .458 @ 1850 won't. And your talking the same package. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Iron Buck, the ammo is a total ripoff. Is anyone going to tell me this stuff costs more to manufacture than .45-70? I just bought a Magnum Research BFR Revolver in .45-70, and there is nothing a .500 S&W will do that the .45-70 won't with half the pressure. I've handloaded Lyman 552 gr. cast bullets in it with great results. I doubt any .500 S&W could match it. If I did buy a .500, it wouldn't be in a S&W X-Frame, but in a BFR. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God that looks like a Marlin action for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give me the 450 marlin in a guide gun.Unless one needs one cartridge/rifle/handgun combo.IMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
NO!

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

According to WWG site that action is of their Manufacture. Made from Stainless Steel. It even has all of their replacement Marlin parts in it . Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I never have been one to buy the flavor of the month cartridge but feel this would be a very efficient close range lever gun with plenty of power for most jobs on deer and black bear.

If it turns you on, defintiely get one.

However, given the criteria you list above, a .38-55 would likely do the trick. For that matter, a .375 Win. would do the trick, for sure...with beaucoup power to spare. Either of the .50s mentioned here are much more than needed for the purposes you specify.

But, again, if you're just jonesin' for one, by all means grab it.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Give me the 450 marlin in a guide gun.Unless one needs one cartridge/rifle/handgun combo.IMHO"

Flick,

You can have that in .450 Marlin. Magnum Research offers a fitted cylinder in .450 Marlin for their .45-70 revolvers. I believe the cost is around $150.00. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Something like this made by WWG in Anchorage? It's not made on a Marlin action, but sure looks like one.

By the way, no I wouldn't buy one.

I like that rifle!How can I get one?What caliber does it come in?

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
NO

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like that rifle!How can I get one?What caliber does it come in?

Red,
That is a 500 S&W made by Wild West Guns in Anchorage, AK. I think they offer it in their 457 Magnum chambering as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They offer it as the "Copilot" takedown in 45-70 and the 457 Magnum will chamber in the same gun. Two friends have bought them and they are very accurate up to 200 yds. Very impressive guns in the 457 chambering. The 457 doesn't give much away to a factory 458 Win mag. As I remember it's a 400 gr bullet at close to 2000 fps.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
The 457 Mag with a 405 grain bullet does 2075 fps out of a 22 inch barrel.The 45-70 with Buffalo Bore ammo does 2000 fps out of a 22 inch barrel using the same bullet.For the cost of the Wild West gun,I personally don't see the need over the Buffalo Bore load in a 45-70.

Just my opinion.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote