Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Pictures?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://ibb.co/jiD2cw

Yes it's there , click on the address

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Good job,give us more details on the gun please? it does look like it's been worked on,how much does it weigh?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I left the details out ....it's a custom I built for myself on a Browning 1886 carbine in 45-70
I restocked it with silvers pad to get my length of pull ,the frame was engraved with a nice border and CCH by my good friend Oskar Kob and it was rebarreled with a 26 half octagon ...never actually weighed it but its damn close to ten pounds loaded,
my handloads are running the Woodleigh 405 weldcore flat nose around 2000fps ...the bull dressed just over 500lbs ...a nice animal for here

posted Hide Post
What bullet at 2000fps ?....Nice one....

One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cj dawe:
Sorry I left the details out ....it's a custom I built for myself on a Browning 1886 carbine in 45-70
I restocked it with silvers pad to get my length of pull ,the frame was engraved with a nice border and CCH by my good friend Oskar Kob and it was rebarreled with a 26 half octagon ...never actually weighed it but its damn close to ten pounds loaded,
my handloads are running the Woodleigh 400's around 2000fps ...the bull dressed just over 500lbs ...a nice animal for here
Woodleigh 400gr PP or 405gr.SP?

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700xcr:
quote:
my handloads are running the Woodleigh 400's around 2000fps ...the bull dressed just over 500lbs ...a nice animal for here
Woodleigh 400gr PP or 405gr.SP?

My guess is,it would be a FP/SN suitable for levers,just checked & they list it as such for 45/70.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
my handloads are running the Woodleigh 405 weldcore flat nose around 2000fps ...the bull dressed just over 500lbs ...a nice animal for here

Very nicely done,that half octagon sure looks nice on that gun.
The carbine was a EL?

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearit2:
What bullet at 2000fps ?....Nice one....

30B 45/70 .458" 405gr FN SN 50 .276 .204 1700-2000 velocity

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet dollars to donuts you got nervous and wasted that second round! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of but Not really ...he was going fast where I didn't want to follow Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45-70 Woodleigh bullet is a 405 gr. flat nose soft point..The 45-70 shoots a .405 bullet. Part #7778. All other Woodleighs are .458...

Woodleighs are as good as any bullet on the market and better than most..Ive used them time and time again on Cape buffalo, Hippo and whatever in Africa, but never in the 45-70 with the exception of one elk and a couple of deer some years ago. I have used them in the .338 win on about everything from deer, elk to African PG an one or two cape buffalo..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray ,how the was the 45-70 Woodleigh performance on Deer and Elk ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only used it on one elk and one or two deer, worked great, but I only recovered one bullet and it broke the last rib going in an came to rest in the neck, killed the elk on the spot. the deer were lung/heart shots and they ran a 50 to 75 yards and left very good blood trails.

along the same lines I shot a elk going away at 40 yards up the keyster that had been shot by a hunter that was with me, MY 400 gr. Woodleigh out of my 45-90 traveled lengthwise into the neck lower neck and the elk ran another 75 or 100 yards leaving a very light blood trail but internal damage was destructive, just an elk full of adrenaline by a bad first shot,and that makes a lot of difference when trying to put them down as Im sure you know.

Ive seen a number of elk killed by the 45-70 and frankly Ive never been very impressed, they got the job done but I always felt they went to far with a good hit..The 45-90 was a little better but not much. I had better luck with the 350 gr. Hornaday RN in my 45-90, but again not by much.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh .405 out of my Marlin GBL works great on blackbears too. One and down for the count.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not used them but Woodleigh also make a 300gr FN bonded pill if you're looking for a bullet for smaller deer.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I only used it on one elk and one or two deer, worked great, but I only recovered one bullet and it broke the last rib going in an came to rest in the neck, killed the elk on the spot. the deer were lung/heart shots and they ran a 50 to 75 yards and left very good blood trails.

along the same lines I shot a elk going away at 40 yards up the keyster that had been shot by a hunter that was with me, MY 400 gr. Woodleigh out of my 45-90 traveled lengthwise into the neck lower neck and the elk ran another 75 or 100 yards leaving a very light blood trail but internal damage was destructive, just an elk full of adrenaline by a bad first shot,and that makes a lot of difference when trying to put them down as Im sure you know.

Ive seen a number of elk killed by the 45-70 and frankly Ive never been very impressed, they got the job done but I always felt they went to far with a good hit..The 45-90 was a little better but not much. I had better luck with the 350 gr. Hornaday RN in my 45-90, but again not by much.. sofa

You need to step up to the 50 Alaskan or 50-110. Then you can use the woodleigh 535 grain at the same velocity with a bigger hole.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote