THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    45/90 V 45/70 ballistics with starline brass ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/90 V 45/70 ballistics with starline brass ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kev,

I have finished paying off my 1886 extra lite I now just need to organise paperwork to get it to oz, when I have it in my hands I will order brass & dies and then a barrel. What twist do you reccomend?? I see Lothar Walther offer a .500 Nitro caliber barrel would this be suitable twist wise ??, I would like to use a LW barrel if at all possible.

So what is the end game ?? which of the woodleigh bullets is best ?? the 530 gr, 570 gr or 600 gr PP ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I have not yet got to any 570 so maybe today I will try a few. If the nose is flat by cutting off the soft lead flat with the jacket. I think 570 could tune out easier , but I will see. As for the twist rate of the barrel, Dave put a 1:26 twist rate, Badger heavy barrel , get a heavy barrel. It has work fine so far so this is the only twist rate I know with the 50-110, the 500Nitro gives more fps so I would think the twist rate for the 50-110 would be different. I am not a gunsmith so check it out with him also how would it work with HC as that is what most offen is used. I would still want something that is fine for jacketed as there would be more options for your ammo. I think to be safe a heavy barrel is better,and I think the extra weight with the recoil of the 50-110 will be helpful, they have one hell of a recoil, when you load some 525-550 grain bullets over 2000fps he will see, lever action stocks are not as forgiving as bolts.. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kev,

I remeber trying Badger for a barrel for my .585 Nyati...but they never responded. Maybe Pac-Nor would offer a 1 in 26 twist .50 cal barrel. I would love to get it black chromed like your rifle, yours looks great.

Pac-Nor are pretty reasonable price wise.

PC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kev,

you mentioned getting a heavier barrel as it was safer ?? why is this so, is there another reason other than recoil ??

Thanks PC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

PC , the action on the win86 and 71 are very strong where there might be a problem is the threading and barrel. MR. Clay, solidly attached the threading and use a heavy barrel to handle heavier loads, pressure from hotter loads in a big round, the only areas that may have had a problem were the threading area and barrel. I just saw on another site a gentleman who said the only blow ups of and 86 or 71 he has ever seen were located in these two areas. I just felt that in order to really load some heavy loads in the 50-110 I wanted the rifle to be as strong as possible, Kev

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kev,

I will take note of what you have said. I am looking forwards to getting my 1886......maybe it will be tonice to convert I may have to buy a second

Kev you have built yours on a repro 1886 are they a nice rifle quality wise I have never handled one ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I would not know how well they are made, as when I finely got my win86 it was right from MR. Clay, and with all the custom stuff I had on it I thought it was the greatest thing since slice bread. The most really important factor with the 86 and yours is the action and they are strong. When you are done with yours you will have a custom barrel amount other things so the only thing from the original rifle will be the action, and the custom and original are two different animals.I am sure you will like what you get. Kev