Find
Notify
Tools

Win 94 in .375 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted
Any of you guys have experience with this gun? I looked on Gunbroker and got an idea of prices. A local store has one for $850 with 3 boxes of ammo, which seems fair.
Now I'm just wondering if it's a good caliber for that gun?
Thanks.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what is a fair price for any gun these days, if anything is. The American dollar has become so worthless as to be almost a joke (except to we consumers). Doing a little research in relationship to another matter this morning, I found the purchasing power of $75,000 1934 dollars would require $1,274,333.00 these days to buy the same things.

Just as a note and something you might consider, I bought a Model 336 Marlin carbine chambered for .375 Winchester and in 95%+ condition overall (perfect appearing bore) with a Redfield receiver sight 3 years ago for $350.

Anyway, my own opinion is that the .375 Winchester is one of the best chamberings ever put in a Model 94. I like the .356 Winchester chambered M94s even better, but not by a whole lot.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend just picked one up, he was able to find brass, dies as well as bullets. I also found a bunch of original barnes 250grn at a gun show. with RL7 he is pushing 220grn a 2200fps or better. The gun seems well made no cross safety a nice pad but a bit short If it were mine I would find a receiver sight to mount on it. I think that it was a great purchase... think of it as a modern 38-55....

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I do think a 375 Winchester is a little bigger "Hammer" than a 30/30, for deer and wild pig hunting, I have had such good luck and great kills using my Heym 30/30 O/U, I would recommend a 30/30 for this class of game as you can get ammo anywhere...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The only drawback I see to the 375 Win can be finding ammo unless you reload/handload.

Just a personal opine here but between the two cartridges, I prefer the 38-55.

Yes the 375 can be loaded hotter than the 38-55, but if the right bullet diameter for the particular rifle is found a 250 grain bullet at 1850 fps or maybe a little faster out to 150 yards is going to put a hurting on to anything you shoot with it.

The price you mentioned alng with the ammo sounds reasonable.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
The only drawback I see to the 375 Win can be finding ammo unless you reload/handload.

Just a personal opine here but between the two cartridges, I prefer the 38-55.

I think the .38-55 is also a very excellent round. I have a '94 round-barrel carbine in that chambering also. Like you, CH, this is just my own personal opinion, but I prefer the .375 Winchester to the .38-55 because the .375 has only really good strong modern brass out there for it and uses .375" diameter bullets instead of somewhere between .377" and .381".

No real advantage to either one, just whatever stirs one's "gut" feelings. Almost impossible to err by going in either direction.

Cheers beer

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just getting the ammo is a good part of that deal. When I can find 375 Win. in a shop it is usually for about $40 a box. Makes handloading almost a neccessity.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a marlin 375 in feb for $400. It has really taken my fancy for some reason. At the same gunshow I picked up 10 boxes or so of Barnes original 255 grn for little of nothing.
So, here's the thing I found with the Marlin. It has a loooong leade. I got a Lee factory crimp die so I could crimp the barnes out to max OAL without the cannalure needed. Also, with the Marlin, useing 38/55 brass is no problem. I also opened up some 30-30 brass and used those. The winchester 38/55 brass will handle most any load you want to in the 375 Marlin. I just sent for and recieved a custom mold from RanchDog Outdoors. He designed it for the 375 Marlin and it's long leade, and throat angle. It is a full blown HAMMER! I love this bullet. If cast with a pure lead nose section and a wheelweight/linotype base (double pour)it should be the only bullet I'll ever need in this rifle. I'll report more later if anyone is interested, as I play with the bullets/loads more.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just one question on the Barnes originals are they .375 diameter or .377 diameter?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes I have are .375 dia. and what seems to be a very heavy jacket, really, to heavy for the 2100 fps range and deer shooting.
The mold I got I size them to .379 to fill the big void they go through on the way to the rifling without tipping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention. I can bell the mouth ( a good bit) on a 38/55 case,chamber it in my .375 and extract it with the belled mouth intact. I dont doubt I could shoot .377 jacketed bullets with out any more problems then the .379 cast ones.I think there's plenty of room for the case mouth to expand, and keep pressures at safe levels. It would be no differant then shooting .311 dia ammo in the .308 bore of my Ruger 77 in 7.62x39.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Where are the sky marshals when you need them?
Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are the sky marshals when you need them?

This went right over my head Confused and I'm usually quick with such things.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $560Cdn for an original, as-new condition .375Win 'Big Bore', about a year and a half ago (manufactured in 1979).

Sweet little rifle, great cartridge.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Demonical, thanks.
Back40, I was pointing out that the topic I started got hijacked. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back40, I was pointing out that the topic I started got hijacked

They do tend to do that!
So, did you decide to buy it or not? I cant think of a better florida pig gun myself, do you have access to pig shooting?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$850.00 seems a bit high,even with the ammo.The thing is that different parts of the Country place different values on lever actions.Gun Brokers is not the place to get a handle on prices as many that are posted there are very optimistic on what they think they can get. If you think it is a deal,then buy it.Someone will always post on the much better deal they got!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Back40,
Haven't decided yet, but you're right, it would make a good pig gun. So would the Ruger 1 listed on here

Obliker,
I think you're right about the price being a little high. I'm leaning toward a bigger caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mmassey338

I have 2 of the 94 Win in the 375 plus 2 others that lost their way over the years.
Its a great gun for hunting bears and cougars with dogs. I have shot many black bears and a cougar with my 375.
The going rate for that gun is about $800 and with some ammo that is a fair price. Some of the original ammo Big Bore stuff is expensive.
Winchester only made that gun for 2 or 3 years before changing calibers. Marlin picked it up ands made it till about 1983 or 4 I think.I guess its a buyers choice Winchester or Marlin????
I take Winnies hands down.
Buy it have fun with it.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised by the "thread hijacked" comment. I think everyone who responded replied about having a rifle in that chambering, and liking it....and saying it is a great lever action round.

They also tried to show you what else was out there in the same chambering of lever action carbines or very close to it, so you could better decide for yourself whether the $800 price is reasonable or not and whether that is the chambering you really want. You are ultimately the person who has to make those decisions, and I think they were just trying to help. I know I was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $500 fro my winchester BB in 375 win about 4 years ago. From where I'm sitting I think it is possibly the finest 94 that they turned out. Don't see many here in Louisiana. Think in 17 years I have seen 3 and one of those I bought. One had pitting all over it may have been used as a swamp boat gun. The other one was a marlin and besides the green stuff in the bbl you could see actual pitting in the bore. Absolutely no reason for that today. Frank

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Singleshot and elk,
Thanks for your input. I'm still thinking about the gun.

Canuck,
I'm sorry if I offended you, but the thread was hijacked, and I was trying to bring it back on course with a little humor. I was not referring to your first post.

Crazy and back40 went off on a rabbit trail, and I pointed it out and had a little fun. I'm not mad at anyone, and I hope you're not either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
back40 went off on a rabbit trail,

I'll have you know I have never gone rabbit hunting with my .375!!!

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Good one!
Now if the canuck will lighten up and have some fun, we won't have to start telling canadian jokes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will find AC to be one of the nicest people with a wealth of knowledge on this site. He was being his genuine self, not wanting feathers ruffled anywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmassey338:
Good one!
Now if the canuck will lighten up and have some fun, we won't have to start telling canadian jokes.

I LIKE Canadian jokes. Have at it, please! If we can't laugh at ourselves, what the Hell good are we, anyway? tu2

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm talking about!
I'm glad that we can have fun here. I look forward to to future conversations with you guys.

Take care

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if I ever get off my lazy butt with the winnie 375 I plan to shoot cast bullets in it only. Did manage the aquiring of not one but two dies sets. One was a rcbs 3 dies set and the other is a hornady 3 dies set. Sizer, belling die and seater. Only paid $35 for the rcbs dies. Slightly used they were. A little cleanup and all the rust was gone. Do not do any hunting much anymore. The arthritius and the diabetic neuropathy have pretty well taken care of that. So most of my time spent at the range is limited to punchin paper. Frank

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
We have had both Marlin and Winchester versions of this rifle, and I wish I had both of them back.

Musn't learn to sell good guns.

Also sold a Savage 99 in 284. doh!

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
We have had both Marlin and Winchester versions of this rifle, and I wish I had both of them back.

Musn't learn to sell good guns.

Also sold a Savage 99 in 284. doh!

I got 2 each of the Marlins and Winchesters as well as 2 Savage 99s in 375 one new in box yet. These would be the last to go.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Forgot about the Savages, good guns that.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Yesterday there were about 20 94 Big Bores on Gunbroker and 1 Marlin and no Savage 99s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal take is that it's one of the best calibres in the 94 and the big bores are well made and finished. It's really a reloaders cartridge and performance can be enhanced over the factory offering. If you can't find cases they can be formed from 30/30 brass and work just fine. If you cast it is probably one of the cheapest and most effective calibres you can load for.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 2 cents.

I one found a mint used Winchester but the front sight ramp was leaning over to the left. WRA repaired it at no charge. I put the Williams FP back on and it shot about a foot to the left. The lever required you to squeeze it hard to permit the trigger to be pulled. I later found a good deal on a Marlin 375 so I owned both that the same time. The Winchester action reminds me of the bumper jacks in 1960s autos. I preferred the Marlin action and got rid of the Winchester. I shoot it with the William's Foolproof that came on the Winchester.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The 94 big bore I have shoots great. It was shot a bit before I got it and continues to be a solid performer. It cycles nicely, lock up is tight and doesn't rattle like a newer AE I have.

I love Marlins too but for open sights I kinda prefer the 94.

I wouldn't kick either out of my safe!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a good price for a really clean 94 big bore and 3 boxes of ammo. At 42 dollars a box thats a 126 dollar value. I have a Marlin 375 and i like it a lot, for some reason the 375win has always intrigued me and i think it will really put the smack down on hogs, bears and even an elk within 250yds or so. Mine is just gonna be used for whitetails and hopefully a black bear and i will be handloading either the 200gr Sierra or the 220gr Hornady, which ever shoots better, good luck, hope it works out for ya.....

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I bought a s/h M94 375 years ago for $350 and like it as a pig rifle. The fact that it's now an obsolete calibre seems to be pushing it into the collectable zone, though (saw one in NZ recently for $1500), so I'd better not scratch it.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
The Barnes I have are .375 dia. and what seems to be a very heavy jacket, really, to heavy for the 2100 fps range and deer shooting.
The mold I got I size them to .379 to fill the big void they go through on the way to the rifling without tipping.

Last I checked the Barnes Originals were pure copper instead of guilding metal jackets and pure copper is softer than guilding metal

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan,
yes, I belive they are softer then gilded metal, pure copper...not so sure as they are very tough to bend a petal when I recovered some from a gravel bank. The biggest problem I have with them is, they are not tapered at all,full thickness right to the lead softnose. When they are squeezed into that ogive they are very tough to open at the low velocity of a .375 win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking yet again of the .375 Winchester...Cave Creek Armory in Cave Creek, Arizona has one for sale hanging on their wall right now which looks As New to me. I didn't ask if they have the original box.

They are asking $749 for it, but I am pretty certain it could be bought for $700 out the door including shipping. It is the fancy grade of the M'94 Winchester...I can't remember if that is the '94-AE, or what, but it is a NICE looking rifle.