THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Savage 99 - 300 Savage load request
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 - 300 Savage load request
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A Buddy has his Grandfather's Savage 99 in 300 Savage and we're gonna start a loading project for it.

We've got the ususal suspects lined-up and ready to go; 100 R-P Brass, RCBS F/L Die Set, Lee Case Gauge Trimmer & a Lee FCD, too. Starting effort will be a Winchester 150 gr. Spire Point w/cannulure.

I've done some reading on the constraints of the Savage's and would be interested in some loads that have already worked up for their rifles as a starting point as well as any additional Pro's & Con's.

Thanks & Happy New Year

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Barefoot Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have shot/loaded for 3 savage 99's in 300 sav and must say i haven't found much that they wont shoot well I usually stoke them with varget simply because it meters well for me IMR 3031 and 4064 have also bean good performers just don't meter as well any quality 150-165gr bullet over the top and light it off with a CCI 200 large rifle primer these consistently shoot around an inch to an inch and a half at a hundred yards scoped somewhat larger iron sighted (38.5gr of 4064 capped with a 150gr nosler BT ignited with a CCI 200 gives honest sub MOA accuracy from my favorite little 300) and have taken everything from black bear to ground squirrels with authority (assuming i do my part) these are great handling/shooting little rifles and probably my favorite hunting rifle/cartridge for medium sized game good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 3 | Location: South West Oregon  | Registered: 30 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Barefoot,

Welccome aboard and Thank You very much for taking the time to post this; for me, useful information.

I've got a little bit of IMR-4064 remaining in a can, I'll try this and was also considering attempting some 150 gr. NBT's, too as these bullets are usually a pretty good indication in a .308 Winchester if there's some good accuracy potential available outa a tube.

Waidmannsheil!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
My 1926 takedown, 26" bbl does well with Benchmark and AA2520 at ~2500fs and just over 40KCUP with 150 gr Horn SP. Tang sight, old eyes and well used barrel will only do ~2"/100yds, but that's good enough for sage ratz.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for several 99s chambered for .300 and only one didn't like 40 grains of IMR-4064 in a R-P case primed with a Winchester LR primer. My 1951 R model will do this on a regular basis at 100 yards:

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Vihtavuori N 140 powder with a 150 grain bullet. 37.0 grains is a nice light target load giving only 2280 fps but with great accuracy. Or you can go on up to 41.0 grains if you wish ....

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Bal-C2 in mine for a 165 at 2350 kills deer just fine. I don't like to punish the action to much.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I used to load up 165 gn slugs with Rlr 15 in mine and it would push them 2650 fs with no pressure signs whatsoever. People seem to forget that at its introduction the 300 was touted as the short action answer to the 30-06 and it came very close to the old 06 velocities. It really is an underrated cartridge and like the 308 is easy to load for. My only qualm with the 99 though, is the issue of case stretch, which in this age of component shortages and rediculous prices is a good reason to use reduced loads. But one effective work around to that is to make 300 brass out of 308 millsurp, if you want to go to the trouble. The extra thickness makes for much better case life even from a 99 @ peak pressures. Remember, that Model 99 is the same action that is used to contain much higher 308 pressures by shooters all over. I wouldnt hesitate running it up to the considerably lower factory 300 Savage pressures for one second.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Savage made its good reputation with a 150 gr. bullet at 2700 FPS, several of the loading books show loads that will duplicate this in a 99....

That was also the same original load balistics that made the 30-06 famous. The one Teddy R used in Africa..

The 300 Savage is the "ideal" whitetail bush caliber. I had an uncle who killed many big bull elk with his 99EG in 300 Savage caliber and all one shot kills as I recall.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41855 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote