THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 1895 aperture sights/lever mods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895 aperture sights/lever mods
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi-

I'll be buying a new 1895 (22" bbl) in 45-70 in the next couple weeks, and plan to replace the factory rear sight asap - probably the same day I get the rifle. I just don't care for the ones they are shipped with and I shoot much better with a peep. I've been looking through my Brownells catalog, and there are quite a few peep/ghost ring/aperture rear sights out there. Can anyone make a recommendation based on personal use? Which do you like and why? I plan on keeping the hooded front sight if possible. This will be used for under 100 yd shooting of pigs, deer etc in timber and other cover. Both snap shots during a stalk and planned shots from a stand will be likely.

Which ones are stronger?
Which ones give a good sight picture with the factory front sight?
Would it be better to replace them as a whole set?
Which are most easily adjusted for sighting in?
Which hold their setting better?

I will say that I like the ghost ring type with the protective 'ears' on each side. It seems it will surely be more durable and safer from harm.

Secondly, I am not real fond of the small loop of the factory lever. Is it possible to put a larger loop lever on the 1895 model? Will it interfere with the pistol grip stock? Any suggestions from those that might have tried this? What I'd really like is a guide gun straight grip style stock with the 22" bbl - but it is not to be found from the factory. All thoughts on these subjects greatly appreciated. TIA, maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxman-

I've got a Guide Gun that I'll be attaching some sort of aperture sight to in the near future. I'm in the air between the AO ghost-ring and the Wild West Guns ghost-ring.
Your best source for info on them is at the Marlin website. Click on MarlinTalk and do a search. Lots of info available to you if you haven't checked it out already.

Regards - Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the Ashley Ghost ring to be a waist of money. I have one on a 1895 and it is ok, but the Williams WGRS is better for 1/3 of the price.
If you are going to spend a bunch of money on a peep get the Wild West peep with the protective ears. But I think this is not necessary and a waste of money. I much prefer the williams WGRS and the Fool Proof receiver sight as well over the Ashley.

Both the Ashley and the WGRS sights that I have installed work with the front sight. Ashley does provide a front sight that is very nice, but it is not the most precise at longer distances but it is very nice within 100 yards.

Find someone who has a WGRS and Ashley and WWG so you can judge first hand.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What I'd really like is a guide gun straight grip style stock with the 22" bbl - but it is not to be found from the factory.

I have thought the same thing as you..

I have been pondering the 1895CB for this very same reason, and have just about decided to cut down the barrel if I have to.

I to am interested in better sighting systems, just in case I can�t use the standard ones. (No scope) Thanks...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only bad thing about the WGRS from williams is that it is not click adjustable like the Ashley, But I sighted it in faster than I did the Ashley.

I do not have a WGRS sight but installed one on a friend's 1895. He bought both the sight at my recomendation and I installed it and sighted it in. It seems every bit as strong and durable as the ashley.
Neither my Ashley nor his WGRS has shifted or needed to re-zeroed.

Ashley is not bad I just do not see paying the extra 60 bucks.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I looked at the large loop levers at Wild West Guns. Ouch - that's some serious cash! Anyone know why they charge $150 for them?

Is there any special reason why a reasonably skilled metal worker with the tools to cut/join/shape metal could not rework the factory lever? Is the factory one cast or machined? That would certainly be a factor. If not, it should be simple enough to cut out the unwanted section and weld in a longer looped piece shaped the way I want it. Reblue it and install it back in the gun - yes? no?

I'm guessing that there are some portions of the lever that are hardened and need to stay that way. As long as you work carefully and not let the whole thing heat up, these areas should be ok. I'm sure the loop area of the lever doesn't need to be hardened. No reason why it can't be reshaped that I can see - unless my assumptions are not correct? maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote