THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 336 vs Win 94 recoil/30-30 vs .35?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336 vs Win 94 recoil/30-30 vs .35?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Years back I had a 94 in 30-30.I was surprised by how hard it kicked.I've been thinking about getting another lever gun to keep handy in the truck just in case.I like the looks of the Marlin better.Is the Marlin about the same recoil wise with the same load?Also is there a noticeable difference between the kick of the 30-30 vs .35?

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Let me start by saying this is just my opinion, not etched in stone facts....

I personally think the Marlin kicks less with the same ammo in most cases for two reasons...it usually has a pistol grip stock and a semi-beaver-tail forend. At least, the forend is usually fatter on modern Marlins than on the traditional Winchesters.

Both of those give the shooter's hands more to hang onto, and spread the recoil over more area.

Also, Marlins are more likely to be scoped than the traditional Winchesters were. That tends to cause the shooter to hold his head up more, which also helps lighten the perception of recoil for many people. An erect, natural, stance frequently produces less felt recoil than a position where one is hunched over trying to look through open iron sights.

But, of course, as people are built differently and therefore are better fitted by different stocks and sights, perceptions DO vary.

In my own instance, I have noticed little or no difference in the recoil of factory ammo in either the .30-30 or the .35 Remington. The .35 Remington cartridge does push a little heavier bullets and recoil would logically therefore be a tad more.

But in actual fact, at the velocities actually achieved by that .35 round, the recoil MIGHT be a little bit less. Anyway, I have noticed no particular difference.

Though it isn't traditional in appearance, if the recoil is more than you want to put up with, you could always have a good recoil pad installed on either the Winchester or the Marlin.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Let me start by saying this is just my opinion, not etched in stone facts....

I personally think the Marlin kicks less with the same ammo in most cases for two reasons...it usually has a pistol grip stock and a semi-beaver-tail forend. At least, the forend is usually fatter on modern Marlins than on the traditional Winchesters.

Both of those give the shooter's hands more to hang onto, and spread the recoil over more area.

Also, Marlins are more likely to be scoped than the traditional Winchesters were. That tends to cause the shooter to hold his head up more, which also helps lighten the perception of recoil for many people. An erect, natural, stance frequently produces less felt recoil than a position where one is hunched over trying to look through open iron sights.

But, of course, as people are built differently and therefore are better fitted by different stocks and sights. perceptions DO vary.

In my own instance, I have noticed little or no difference in the recoil of factory ammo in either the .30-30 or the .35 Remington. The .35 Remington cartridge does push a little heavier bullets and recoil would logically therefore be a tad more.

But in actual fact, at the velocities actually achieved by that .35 round, the recoil MIGHT be a little bit less. Anyway, I have noticed no particular difference.

Though it isn't traditional in appearance, if the recoil is more than you want to put up with, you could always have a good recoil pad installed on either the Winchester or the Marlin.

I have owned both Winchester and Marlin 30/30's and I agree with AC's assesment.

The 35 Rem is a good cartridge, one of my sisters in law hunts with a Remington pump in 35, but I would prefer the 30/30 as ammo is much easier to find.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had both the 94 and the 336, in both .35 and 30-30. If I was picking, today it would be the Marlin, in 30-30. Better gun, and you can get 30-30 ammo, anywhere.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also had both and prefer the Marlin. I haven't owned a 35. It seems to me the Marlin has a bit better fit and finish as well.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!I'll go with the Marlin.Still plenty of time to decide between the cals.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I can not tell a bit of difference between the 3 and I have one of each.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of '94 better, just personal prefference. Recoil?????

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of .Dirty-.30
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with a vintage Marlin rifle!!

If you shoot a Marlin, you should be on Marlinowners.com

Posts: 21 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You can also get a single shot 12 gauge and shoot some turkey loads through it, and it will magically cut the 30/30 recoil in half! <G>

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
It might be only perception--

but I agree with AC and 450-

the pistol gripped Marlin "seem" to recoil

less, and control easier.

(And I hate those old Crescent Butt Plates on the 1886, much prefer the shotgun butt and also the pistol grip of the Mod. 71)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Marlin in 35 Rem. The only M94 I am interested in is the BB in 356.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 336 in .35. Doesn't kick much, just SOUNDS like it does.

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had 336's in 35 and 30-30 and m94's in 30-30 and 307, the Marlins definitely have a more shooter friendly profile and in my opinion perceived recoil is less than the 94's. Probably due more to a better fit.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote