New
Find
Notify
Tools

how about savage?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what are your opinions on the lower cost bolt .22lr savages?

particular the Mark II G, i've seen it in a catalogue from a norwegian dealer.
i think i would prefer it with a synthetic stock, called Mark II F, but i need to check what models is available.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the Savage Mark IIs with light/sporter contour barrels, as they are too light, don't balance well, and feel small/narrow to me. I'm an average 5'11" sort of guy.

I don't mind the heavy barreled Savage rimfires and have a couple of each in 17HM2, 17HMR, and 22MRF, but none in 22LR. For a new 22LR bolt gun with a light/sporter contour barrel, I much prefer the Marlin 980S, as the stock ergs fit me better and it feels "man-sized". The only thing that I don't really like about the Marlin 17HM2s and 22LRs is that the magazines protrude below the bottom of the stock right where my hand wants to be when I'm carrying it. Marlin solved this issue for the 17HMR and 22MRF rifles by including both a 4-shot and a 7-shot magazine with those rifles. The 4-shot magazine fits nearly flush with the bottom of the stock.\

'Hope this feedback helps.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steffen, I do not have the Savage you are talking about. But, I do have a MKII BTVS and so far it is OK. I've not shot it enough to have the barrel broken-in, so I've not focused on seeing what the best groups are I can shoot with it.

It has the new Accu-Trigger and I'm not sure if I like it yet or not. It just feels a bit different than a normal Trigger.

The BTVS has a Bull Barrel and Thumbhole Laminated stock. I doubt it will ever go Squirrel Hunting due to being a bit HEAVIER than necessary for that. But, it should be relatively easy to hold steady on a Squirrel.

Best of luck to you. If you get one, let us know what you think about it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote