New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Hunt with new Browning .22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After killing 2 pigs and 3 turkeys with my new Drilling I decided to take my new Browning 22 for a hunt.

I had done a little test firing at 25 yards and found that the CCI Quick Shok hit right with the sights.
So Off I went down "Pig Alley. I hoped to shoot maybe a trutle or two, a rabbit, maybe even sneak up on a tom turkey or a small pig.

First thing seen was a turtle in the river on a log. Pop, first blood.
A little farther along I see a nice cotton tail rabbit. I sneak up a little, and one shot in the neck and he is down.
As I Have quite a bit of walking to do i place him on a fence post for later pickup. I like fried rabbit. Big Grin
I sneek along for an hour of so and I hear a weird sound just on the other side of the river.
Di not know what it is. I stop and listen for a while. I hear more sounds....PIGS, then i hear splashes... They are swimming across the river... I see them there is 8 or so, some big some smaller, around 60 pounders.
I sneak back the way I came until I see the pigs feeding on the flat next to the river.

I sneek up to about 25 yards of so from a 60 to 65 pounder, I am above him. I carefully aim just behind the shoulder and press the trigger.

The CCI Quick is designed to split into 3 equal parts "tripling its effect, resulting in maximum energy transfer" According to the info on the box.
At the shot the pig takes off, running to my left. I persue.
He runs up out of the flat on to my level. I fire a raking shot, he squeels, and rolls completely over, I fire again. He recovers and take soff running out of sight.
I give chase, I see him again about 60 or 70 yards and foire 2 more shots.
He continues out of sight. I began tracking. I do not expect to see any blood, as even pigs shot with 12 guage slugs have left no blood trail. I track him to the fence that keeps cows out of the river. I am unsure if he has crossed the fence or not. I walk for another 500 yards up high then walk a return path near the river, no pig.
I then return to the fence cross it and began looking for him there. I go for about 600 yards then double back deeper in the woods.

All of a sudden, I see a pig that looks to be about the same size, he has seen me. I raise the 22 and aim, he turns and as he runs away is is apparent he is wounded. I lead him and fire aiming for a head shot, too much lead, miss. He turns away I fire again and here that shot hit.
Noe he is running straight away and I fire again, he turns shaprly right and goes out of sight. I run 40 yards of so to where he truned and look for him.

I see him hunkered down behind some trees, but do not have a shot so I approach.
When i get to about 10-12 yards he stands and faces me, a shot to the head finishes him.

While butchering him I find the quick shot has performed as advertised. The first shot has put 3 holes into the lungs, problem is they are small holes. Follow up shots all split into 3 pieces. Penetration from the rear shots is not good enough. The raking shot did make it to the top of right lung.
The heart and liver are not damaged, and are in the freezer.

Bottom line I do not think the 22 is stout enough for body shots on a 60-65 lb pig.
Not even with a conventional solid or HP.
Just not enough horsepower to suit me.

However I do like this new Browning 22 quite a bit.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, that sounds like it was fun!!!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was an exciting hunt... But I still think from now on I will use a bigger gun.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Tony, the first pigs I ever killed (was about 10-11) clap where with a single shot 22, using shorts. They each went down to a single shot each to the chest. My brother and I took turns shooting them. Two were in one group and three in the other. These were in the 50lb size. Big stuff back then, as armadillos were our normal targets.

The Quick Shoks are go for some smaller critters, or social work. I would stick to regular ammo for a walk about hunt. SD is still needed, to reach deep. thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a couple of years back The Rifleman did a test with various
22LR ammo, the penetration champion was the Remington Viper... I think it likely that if you stick to head shots they'd get the job done on a 60lb pig.

thing is if you go hunting for 60lb pigs the 350lb'ers
have a way of showing up hunting for you....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Multiprojectile ammo has been around for close to 100 years as far as I know. It has been mostly developed for defense shooting .It's abandoned because it doesn't work well . The next generation reinvents the wheel but again the ammo is rejected for the same reason.As far as hunting you need even more penetration which is exactly why the multiprojectiles don't work !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the quick shok did penetrate through the lungs. It made 3 distinct holes, they just were not very big.

I get "slightly" better results with my 450 No2. thumb Big Grin