New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate 22 mag ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would appreciate some feedback as it would give me a good place to start my testing for my Cooper.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the answer is going to depend on the rifle! That has been my experience. There just aren't that many different makes. Your Cooper with it's inherent accuracy should be an excellent test bed. My experience with my Mossberg will not help yu much!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had the best luck with the winchester stuff both in the nominal 40 gr and the hotter 34 grain stuff.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Marlin bolt 22 mag clip fed rifle (model 782?) up to about 8 years ago.

Seemed like a lot of 22 mag ammo was just coming out then. I tried several brands, but I always came back to Winchester 40 grain hollowpoints. It would shoot ~ 1.2 - 1.5 moa in my unmodified Marin with 4x scope. Tried CCI, Federal, and I think Remington. Whatever the 34 grain HP bullet was (from Sierra?), it was the least accurate in my gun.

The Win 40 grain HP was also among the least expensive too. It was a good little (quiet) combination for woodchucks out to 150 yards (mostly 75-125 yards though). Gun adn Win 40 gr HP was accurate enough for 100 yard head shots, and powerful/expansive enough to anchor a chuck at 125 yards with a body shot.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Every rifle is a rule unto itself, and accuracy is a product of a number of factors, not the least of which is barrel harmonics. What may be a tack-driver in your rifle may be unacceptable in another.

Get a few different kinds of ammo and give them a whirl...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good points from all posters. I know each rifle has it's own likes and dislikes. But it is always easier to start with something that others have found to be good. I picked up some of the rem 33 gr and will get a couple of boxes of the Win stuff.
Thanks everyone.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I had the best luck with Winchester in my rifle.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In descending order in my Kimber:

RWS (expensive and hard to find)
Winchester (jacketed hollow point -- good)
CCI (so-so)
Federal (50-grain, poor)
(never tried Remington, but their .22LR has always done poorly for me.)

But, your rifle is BOUND to perform differently and may shoot my "poor" ammo well. I think that the high-quality RWS would be among the best in any rifle, but finding it is a problem. The Winchester 45-grain lead-bulleted promo ammo (Dynapoint?) is cheap, has a slightly lower velocity, but is pretty good for "everyday" use.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
The winchester ammo is the most consistantly accurate,,been shooting it for years. I tryed a box of the remington premier poly tipped stuff,,wickedly accurate,,will more than likely get some more,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the Win FMJ, Win Premium HP and the Federal 50 grain load.
The Win Premium HP was the most accurate so far.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth:

Been trying to tune up a very nice example of CZ 452 in .22 mag.

Tried Winchester 40 grain HP at 100 yards, some 30, 5 shot groups. Average from the bench was around 2 5/8 inches. Smallest was 1 1/2 up to over 4 inches. Very inconsistant and not pleased at all.

Convinced that the rifle could do better, I next tried the new Remington 33 grain w/ V-max bullets. Groups tightened to less than an inch for the first two groups, then a wind came up and blew them into a 3 inch group.

I think without the wind, the 33 gr Rem was best for this rifle. I have to try and repeat this again on a windless day.

I still have some other examples of CCI, Rem 40 gr., Fed's, and a box of Winchester with the lighter TNT bullet to try.

So many experiments, so little time.

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
In my Model 9422 the Winchester 34 grain ammo has been ideal. Under 1" groups consistently at 75 yards. BOOM

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
As per BoCash3, the most consistent in my CZ is Remington Premier 32gr V-max. Sub MOA at 100 yards. Next best was RWS 40gr which became impossible to find. CCI maximag was barely acceptable, mine is rubbish with everything else.

It is worth mentioning that the 33gr V-max is crap in the wind.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote