New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO MODEL 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if anybody out there has an old BRNO model 2 dating around 1955/6. The date stamp is on the left hand side on both the barrel and the receiver where they join, ie 1956 would have the numbers 56.

cheers, Mal.

P.S. not wanting to purchase but am interested in the serial numbers

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf,
my model 2 has the serial number 0507, am I correct in assuming that it would be the 507th model 2 made. I undrestand that they were introduced around this time.

Regards,
Mal.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alf for the most useful information. The mod. 2 that I have was made in 1956 and was bought new by myself. Over the years I have owned many .22 rf/s ( anschutz, ruger, remmington, voere, winchester, lithgo, browning. Those are the ones I can remember. )Some were very good, some not so good, but none held a candle to the BRNO in terms of quality and especially accuracy, and it is the only one I still own and would never sell.
Am I right about my assumption on the serial number,

thanks again,
Mal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf Sir. I read "Genius of J & F Koucky".
Does this refer to the design of the Brno/CZ ?
What great innovation is/was there with them.

Is their accuracy overrated?
Our best shot in our club bought a Varm. model and was extreemly disapointed with it.

He and the other club members with Brno's have their work cutout for themselves just keeping up with my "common" Ruger 77-22.

And this from a recent ad for a CZ 453 Varmint.
"ect. new trigger mechanism featuring set-trigger which guarantees very comfortable and accurate fire."

Comfortable?? accurate fire ?? Jeese!!!

All the ones I've seen came with shocking heavy triggers, some needed barrel lapping, most target shooters load the magazine because they can't single load thru the dinky little ejection port. The only auto I've seen loved to jam. ect ect.

Yep, I manage quite well with out the buggers, with their back to front safties.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Alf Sir. I read "Genius of J & F Koucky".
Does this refer to the design of the Brno/CZ ?
What great innovation is/was there with them.

Our best shot in our club bought a Varm. model and was extreemly disapointed with it.

He and the other club members with Brno's have their work cutout for themselves just keeping up with my "common" Ruger 77-22.

"ect. new trigger mechanism featuring set-trigger which guarantees very comfortable and accurate fire."

Comfortable?? accurate fire ?? Jeese!!!

All the ones I've seen came with shocking heavy triggers, some needed barrel lapping, most target shooters load the magazine because they can't single load thru the dinky little ejection port. The only auto I've seen loved to jam. ect ect.

Yep, I manage quite well with out the buggers, with their back to front safties.

I really liked my Ruger 77-22, well finished, compact and with a beautifully robust and smooth action. In fact both myself and my shooting partner both bought one. Only problem neither of us could get the bloody things to shoot. The best either or us could achieve was around 2 MOA. Bye bye to the Rugers, He still has his 1950's BRNO MOD 1 AND I have my 1956 MOD 2, both will shoot .5 MOA till the cows come home. Incidentally neither rifle has had any work whatsoever done to it since leaving the factory,I guess it's just "horses for courses"
I'm glad your little Ruger is going well, I sure would liked to have kept mine, if only it had been half accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, with so many testemonials (that's meant to sound painful) I'm on a hideing to nothing critizing Brno/Cz.

Still, 2 Moa ? is 1" group at 50 yards, not too bad for a field rifle is it?
Sure a lot of ammo won't shoot in my 77-22, a hell of a lot.
I had a look at the Brno No.2 next to me on Sunday. Lovely looking piece, long and slim, nice wood, trigger has been done over.
Only thing not to like apart from the tight ejection port and safety was the 'orrible checkering. Flat,wide and useless.

It shoots pretty awful with Win power points, but good with SK rifle match.
Yeah, I suppose I'd take it home if it was offered cheap. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, with so many testemonials (that's meant to sound painful) I'm on a hideing to nothing critizing Brno/Cz.

Still, 2 Moa ? is 1" group at 50 yards, not too bad for a field rifle is it?
Sure a lot of ammo won't shoot in my 77-22, a hell of a lot.
I had a look at the Brno No.2 next to me on Sunday. Lovely looking piece, long and slim, nice wood, trigger has been done over.
Only thing not to like apart from the tight ejection port and safety was the 'orrible checkering. Flat,wide and useless.

It shoots pretty awful with Win power points, but good with SK rifle match.
Yeah, I suppose I'd take it home if it was offered cheap. Smiler

PM sent,
Mal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
It seems that there is controversy as to my wording in terms of the description of the two Koucky brothers, well it may be in the eye of the beholder Big Grin

But then who of our more noted gun designers and names other than the Great Von Mannlicher himself can call on more than 130 working, in production patents to back up their genius Roll Eyes

PM SENT,
Mal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
It seems that there is controversy as to my wording in terms of the description of the two Koucky brothers, well it may be in the eye of the beholder Big Grin

I am not controversial, just bigoted.
Now with a name like Koucky one has to wonder.
And if their patents are for a backwards safety
and similar genius?
Then there are two of them to help with the thinking. Smiler

quote:

But then who of our more noted gun designers and names other than the Great Von Mannlicher himself can call on more than 130 working, in production patents to back up their genius Roll Eyes

Well sure maybe but I was hopeing for an example on the mighty Brno RF. After all, they seem to keep changing them. IE. What was wrong that needed changing?

And, what's with the news of Brno going bankrupt on and off since 2003. Bits sold off left right and centre?
When this happens to Win, it's because their making junk, in Brno's case??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All the ones I've seen came with shocking heavy triggers, some needed barrel lapping, most target shooters load the magazine because they can't single load thru the dinky little ejection port. .

Don't for one second compare the early Brnos with the current CZs.
They're not on the same planet.

Besides a mint Model 1 I'll never sell, I owned for a short while a current CZ452-2E Synth Nickel which shot very well at times but had an unexplainable wandering zero despite doing everything to get round this. Anyway, the main point I'm trying to make is the build quality of the modern one was rubbish compared with the Model 1 Brno. Cheap gritty investment-cast action for a start. Built to a price, not a std

Chris-NZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics Alf,
what manufacture dates are the various BRNO'S. Thanks in advance.