New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Arms Mod MarkII BTVSS opinion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would the Savage Mark II BTVSS be a reasonable entry level rifle for gun club rim fire shoots?
Getting kinda old for large rifle investments. Thank you, Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think so....... the trigger may not be the best..... But most Savage rifles, including the rimfires shoot very well. Ammunition choice will probably make a huge difference. Try as many of the subsonic match loads as you can.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JTEX, appreciate the feedback. Should have it ready to shoot in a few weeks, I'll keep you posted. Phil

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Have you visited one of the gun club shoots yet? You'll be able to see what exactly is used in the competitions and if a Savage could stack up against them. Without knowing more details, another good option is a CZ/BRNO bolt action. They are more robust and better made than the Savage rifles in my opinion and have a good reputation for accuracy- maybe worth the slightly higher price for you.

Ammunition does make a huge difference too and some testing with different lot #s of a particular brand/type that you can get your hands on and fits in your budget will benefit you too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice. Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild@67:
Thanks JTEX, appreciate the feedback. Should have it ready to shoot in a few weeks, I'll keep you posted. Phil

You are most welcome. Best of luck!

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote